Honeoye Lake

bshanggi

My son called this AM and said there was snow covering ice on the lake as far as he could see.

Did he check the ice at all? I'm taking a 2 hr drive Saturday to try and get on the south end. I know trident just locked up according to the webcam but the south end camera has been showing ice for awhile.

Thanks for the updates fellas! We will likely deem the event a "Walking" event with no machines allowed (need 6"+ across entire waterway to allow motorized transport). Main thing is that there is safe ice for a walking event (consistent 4"). Please keep the updates coming especially going into next week!

King Slammin he didn't actually check out the ice itself....just a visual on it from his house located between north end and Trident. He is getting ready to move though so pretty busy right now.

Finders Keepers that sounds like a good idea> Even in a good year things can be pretty precarious out there for machines and vehicles (someone goes through almost every year).  A walkout would be the safest approach this year for sure.....hopefully be some good safe ice by then very cold temps projected for next week day and night

Edited by Sk8man

I was there checking yesterday about 10:00 Less. Trident had nothing but north of Trident it was covered. Most of the lake had a thin slushy covering over it, that will certainly go away today and tonight. The south end was covered up pretty good from the launch all the way across but only as far north as the first points.  I tried spudding my way out and made it about 10' before the spud went through on the second hit. My opinion, forget it until the middle of next week. 

Thanks for the "reality check" Jim :)  Lets hope that the cold temps projected for the next few days will firm things up enough.

I was there checking yesterday about 10:00 Less. Trident had nothing but north of Trident it was covered. Most of the lake had a thin slushy covering over it, that will certainly go away today and tonight. The south end was covered up pretty good from the launch all the way across but only as far north as the first points.  I tried spudding my way out and made it about 10' before the spud went through on the second hit. My opinion, forget it until the middle of next week. 

There are a few, very few people on this board who's opinion I would be willing to risk life and limb on.  Jim (Pequod1) happens to be one of those people.  Thanks Jim for the plain language common sense approach

you take to posting reports.  I will not be heading toward Honeoye Lake until I hear from Jim, Mark (The Shark) or Norm that there is ice down there that I am willing to bet my Grandchildren's future on!

Grady

I'm not a ice fisherman, but man this year is really not the year to have enough ice for SAFE fishing yet I wouldn't be surprised if it gets moved to FEB. I don't want to hear about anyone going through, let alone one of our brothers/sisters from LOU. I know everyone is chomping at the bit to get out there but PLEASE use caution!!! This goes out to all of you!!! No fish is worth hypothermia or the worst of all!!! Your friend PAP.

The ice was 4" on the south end today. Not far north of the boat launch the main lake was 2" according to the guy next to me. There were some nut jobs that ventured to the trench on scary ice. No thanks.... We stayed in the gill water and caught a bunch but a lot of small ones.

I fished it today with my son at the south end and we had 4-5 inches out from the launch of solid ice but as stated there is only a couple inches when you go north toward the middle and I spoke with a guy who punched a hole with just one jab in spots (1- 1/12 inches in spots).  We ended up with about 50 real large gills and sunnys but as Brian said there were many throw back dinks in the mix today and a couple perch that were smaller than some of the bass bait we had brought with us :lol:  The north end is still a question mark as some of the ice had broken up a week or two ago and reformed.  Caution will be the watchword out there this weekend regardless of the weather report. Folks can't assume that the lake will be uniform thickness or that all areas will be safe. It is not a place for solo trips or without taking proper precautions. It sure did seem great to just get out there today though :) 

I started out with Gambler and Gator but moved about a 100 yds north of them in the same shallow gill water on the west side. The ice was noticeably thinner where I was. Only about 3" at one point in time , a guy walked over right next to me and his spud web

Not through on the first whack. Probably the guy that you talked to Les. Fishing sucked for me. Just some dink gills and a bass. As I mentioned on an earlier thread, my ice 55 humminbird is horrible in shallow weedy water. You just can't get any target separation. The guys next to me were using vex' s and they were much better. I could easily read fish weeds and jigs on there units.

As stated, the ice thickness is 4-5" in front and south of the launch, thinning as you go north. So the NYS Ice Pro-Am event is a "GO" but will have a northern boundary - ice will be checked Fri evening to see how far north the 4" thickness runs. It will be marked and then extended across the lake with cones to make the boundary for the event. 

I hope to see you guys there!! Also, Dave's Automotive near the NE end of the lake on East Lake Rd will have bait, and is going to be outfitted as a NYS Winter Classic weigh-in location after the event this Sat.

I think having the boundary may be related to something called common sense and wishing to stay alive and dry. One of the problems with "feeling" safe on two inches of ice is just that perception. Hopefully there will be enough safe ice out there by Saturday so that folks can get to their "favorite" spots but no fish or prize money is worth the experience of going in that cold water let alone possibly losing your life. The Honeoye Fire Department has had to rescue folks and search for others less fortunate in the past and it is a particularly dangerous task so the risk to others as well as self has to be put into the equation. If boundaries are established I hope everyone adheres to them and if not they better be wearing an arctic survival suit to avoid being looked for in the Spring. Stay safe out there.

Edited by Sk8man

As tournament director, I am responsible for the event. There is a 4" minimum ice thickness rule in place to ensure participant safety to the best of our ability. This isn't to say there won't be places with less ice (underwater springs, gas pockets, etc.) but with a general 4" thickness anglers should still be ok even on the thinner spots. The northern boundary will be strictly enforced for the event, and any angler venturing beyond the boundary will be DQ'ed. Angler safety is a top priority when it comes to running these events and I will not sacrifice their safety for potentially better fishing. All participating teams will have the same opportunity to fish any area within the boundaries and the field will remain as level as possible.