Honeoye Lake

bshanggi

I won't know the boundary until tomorrow night when Jim Pollock drills to find the northern edge of the 4" thickness. Ideally with the cold nights it will build beyond 4" all over in which case he won't find a northern edge and there won't be a boundary, but I would guess it will be off the 2nd point north of the launch...

Yes, most teams will register at the launch that morning. To expedite the process, you can either register fully online, or at least pre-register to give us your team's info and save that step the morning of the event:

http://www.nysiceproam.com/OnlineProAmRegistration.html

Again, if anyone has questions, please post them, drop me a PM, or give me a call!

Yeah, there will probably be a boundary. The ice today in 23' wasn't four inches and it got thinner as we went toward the West side. The good news is that the ice directly across from the launch has built to 5-6".

There was a bigger one caught on the North end a couple seasons ago.  The pic was on Iceshanty.  I believe it was 42" long.  Very nice pike for sure. 

Ok, don't fish that lake and locals had not heard of one this big ever caught. Interesting that they have not been in that lake for that long, yet some are getting this big?? I would think these fish are 15+ years old, so were they introduced as a large fish to begin with or do they have an accelerated rate of growth? Thoughts?

Unlike many lakes with pike they are totally at the top of the food chain on Honeoye. No big lakers, muskies, Tigers, nor many Walleyes that are real big to contest with for food and a lot of immature warm water fish of various species to chow down on. They pretty much devour whatever they please with only man as their control agent. In most other waters they have to "share with others" but not so there :) .

bucket biologist strikes again think they have all the answers end up doing more damage than they could possibly know.  interesting to see them get that big in there wonder what it will do to the lake long term.  if its been 15 years and it only started with a few than the population hasnt had a chance to really take off yet but with a few breeders that size it might be on the brink.  hopefully the pickeral in the lake will keep the population in check but will likely mean that those that do survive have the potential to get very large in a shorter amount of time

Warmer water, plenty of food, both help. I doubt that they were introduced though. Something has kept the population in check. There does not seem to be much in the way of year classes. A few big ones and not to many smaller ones. The only way to tell is to have the dec or some college do a population study and net the lake. 

Oh well, only guessing here. Forget what I said and let's go back to Gambler's Jed Clampett theory.  :)

I don't understand the logic that the pike would thin out the bass.  Maybe why he was a hillbilly???  I also don't see pike as a bad thing for Honeoye but I know people who worship that lake and do not like to see it change so I fully understand why there shouldn't be any.  Also heard a rumour several years ago that someone was farm stocking Hemlock from Conesus.  No proof of it - I have never caught a pike on Honeoye or Hemlock.  I don't think the sky is falling.

I don't understand the logic that the pike would thin out the bass.  Maybe why he was a hillbilly???  I also don't see pike as a bad thing for Honeoye but I know people who worship that lake and do not like to see it change so I fully understand why there shouldn't be any.  Also heard a rumour several years ago that someone was farm stocking Hemlock from Conesus.  No proof of it - I have never caught a pike on Honeoye or Hemlock.  I don't think the sky is falling.

I know a guy that lives on Conesus and fishes it all the time who says the tigers that they stocked there a few years ago are eating the bass.

Says whenever he cleans a tiger, there is a bass in its stomach.   DEC put a ton of tigers in Conesus to eat Alewifes that are eating the walleye fry.

The tigers grew really fast and instead eat bass.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S4028506.shtml?cat=565

Anybody have anymore info on this ?

Maybe it was the fellow who said he was not afraid of the thin ice?  I remember a few years back.  There was an avid ice fisherman out on Sodus bay.

Ventured out for one last time around the middle of March and did not come back.  They found his sled next to a hole in the ice. Needless to 

say that one last trip was indeed his last.

That area near Trident is very dangerous and is a place my son and I went through a few years back mainly because of the bubbler they run out front. The currents it generates travel quite some distance under the ice. Luckily these guys made it OK. My adult son and I at least got to test out our float suits which worked OK but the cold water exposure is unbelievable... it sucks the heat from your core almost immediately and numbs your extremities VERY quickly making moving difficult to impossible and it is not an experience you'll soon forget.

Between the time we iced the fish Sat to the time we reached Clingerman Taxidermy yesterday afternoon, it had regurgitated 2 large 5" shiners, 2 4" bluegill, 1 8" bluegill, a small 3" crappie, a 4-5" bass, and several small minnows. It was well fed! I am sure there was more in there too - had a 19.5" girth! Speaking with the DEC officers they said last summer when they were electro-shocking they got a 26 lb northern in one of their nets, so there are some monster fish in that lake for sure! 

Always hate to hear about anglers going through, but glad they made it out ok. Just reinforces why I put a northern boundary in place last weekend! Safety first...

Impressive...   With all of the prespawn bass fisherman on that lake I am surprised there aren't more stories of big pike.

Yes - safety first...  My cousin was talking about ice fishing the river - he keeps bringing it up and I tell him he is bat sh i t crazy for thinking it.  I told him if he fell thru he wouldn't come back up in the same spot and probably be under the ice.  He said he would just swim out under the ice to the open water which prompted my reply "You have been watching too many movies."  I have yet to eat a walleye that was worth dieing for.

You guys have fun - I am going to wait until the launch reopens.  I like casting anyways.