Kicker motor steering options

pjprod

I am looking to install a 9.9 hp kicker motor. What kind of steering are you guys using. Can I get away with a connecting rod from the main motor to kicker motor? Or should I try and integrate the hydraulic steering from the main motor to kicker motor or purchase an electric steering unit? I am trying to find what works best and is the best price solution. Thanks....

Depending on what you have an outboard to outboard or a I/O to the kicker I use the EZ-Steer. You need to know the distance between the two motors if it's a I/0 then if you have a swim platform. Go on there web site and that will walk you through all the "needs to know" so you get the right length, there is a Panther aux starring. Others will chime in to give you other ideas.

I have an EZ-Steer (outboard to outboard). It works ok with my kicker on a motor bracket that raises up. I can leave it connected while using the main motor. I just raise the kicker bracket all the way up and tilt the kicker motor up to shallow water position (slightly tilted up). It doesn't hamper the main motor steering this way and once I am on plane, it is mostly out of the water.

If your setup is such that you have to tilt the kicker all the way up when operating the main outboard or IO, it might hinder steering or be cumbersome. You might even have to disconnect the linkage when running on the main motor.

If kicker is mounted on transom next to main outboard, you might be able to put a link across the front between the two motors. A friend of mine, who is handy with machining, made his own. There may be something commercially available but I am not sure.

I am not familiar with electric options.

If kicker is mounted on transom next to main outboard, you might be able to put a link across the front between the two motors.

There is a very good and cheap bar that goes between the outboard fronts on the insIde of your boat. Both Panther and Sterns make them. It is a simple bar with quick connectors.

0000000063536.jpg

0000000063536.jpg

Attwood Trolling Motor Steering Kit

Easily attaches to your main motor to steer your kicker motor with your steering wheel

• Quick disconnect assemblies make attachment & removal convenient
  • 24 in. zinc plated steering rod is durable & can be modified to required size
  • Allows for tilting of either motor while attached
  • Works with all dual or single cable steering systems & on hydraulic systems
  • For fresh or saltwater use
  • Kit is designed for steering at trolling speeds
  • Disconnect steering rod while under power from the main engine
  • Must be removed to transport

I'm not sure of your exact situation in terms of motor shaft length and how they match up but mine are each 25 inch. I originally had the Ezsteer system installed and used it for a season or two and then one day I decided to try using just the main motor to steer with and no connection because the long shaft of the kicker stuck down a long ways into the water. I have never looked back although I still have the Ez Steer setup connectors etc. on the motors but I keep them "just in case". I don't think it would work well with a short shaft kicker setup but I just put a slight angle  to the kicker and steer totally from my main 135 outboard. If it is real windy or very rough I just use my big motor to troll and to steer as I can get down to about 1.5 mph with it but I tyr not to do it often or for extended periods because I don't want it to load up or foul the plugs. Like rolmops I used the quick disconnects with a threaded rod on my previous boat without any problems but the connections were within the boat connected to the "inner face" of the motors so it was easy to disconnect and I didn't have to reach outside the boat. I had to make the "brackets" that attached to the motors which the quick discconnect fittings/rod attached to.

post-145411-0-32442400-1452267377_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-42343600-1452267448_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

post-151807-0-14910100-1452303745_thumb.jpgpost-151807-0-08729800-1452303768_thumb.jpgpost-151807-0-33251600-1452303798_thumb.jpg

Here's my answer to kicker steering, works good...a bit cumbersome to hook up hitchpin out on the water (hanging out back), but easy to pull pin to disengage

I leave the main motor off and down 

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure of your exact situation in terms of motor shaft length and how they match up but mine are each 25 inch. I originally had the Ezsteer system installed and used it for a season or two and then one day I decided to try using just the main motor to steer with and no connection because the long shaft of the kicker stuck down a long ways into the water. I have never looked back although I still have the Ez Steer setup connectors etc. on the motors but I keep them "just in case". I don't think it would work well with a short shaft kicker setup but I just put a slight angle  to the kicker and steer totally from my main 135 outboard. If it is real windy or very rough I just use my big motor to troll and to steer as I can get down to about 1.5 mph with it but I tyr not to do it often or for extended periods because I don't want it to load up or foul the plugs. Like rolmops I used the quick disconnects with a threaded rod on my previous boat without any problems but the connections were within the boat connected to the "inner face" of the motors so it was easy to disconnect and I didn't have to reach outside the boat. I had to make the "brackets" that attached to the motors which the quick discconnect fittings/rod attached to.

Man that was some good engineering there on the bracket, I have the same Johnson motor I think mines a little older, but works flawlessly. Does your kicker when tilted up catch the water? I have mine on the swim platform and it's just that it doesn't. Take care Les. PAP.

:)  Had to move one of the tow eyes on the transom but  the bracket has never budged over the years and the lower unit stays totally out of the water when going full tilt or under way.

Nice, looks real good, is it a **** to lower the motor as you have 2 items to lower and raise, the tilt of the motor then lower in kicker, I have my hands full just tilting the motor it actually raises itself when I'm done or want to move for me major PITA. I would much rather have a jack plate!! That's definitely down the road a peice 😰

I have the I/o to outboard kicker Es steer. Although I provided the exact measurement to the Ez steer rep and everything mounted fine, it has never really worked all that well. There is a tension set screw you can adjust once installed and moving the main wheel back and forth. For some reason the Ez steer seems to come apart therefore not allowing for proper steering position. Haven't been able to get this corrected yet. One thing I would suggest though is to use a bungee cord from the Ez steer rod to your kicker or something cause they can pop off when u raise you engine etc. better safe than sorry

The only time I even touch the motor is when I am launching or getting ready to move or quit and I just lift it up with one hand and the shallow water drive lever keeps it there....never have had a problem with it in 14 years. The bracket is located exactly on the transom so that I never have to make any other adjustments at all.

As far as the EZ Steer goes (which I don't need to use on mine)  they are supposed to be installed and adjusted such that the kicker should raise right along with your big motor if the tension is set right on the connector rod. 

I know it states not to mess with the tension screw, supposed to purchase their elastic strap, mine did the same thing, it came apart and while trying to disconnect from the I/o under water 2ft waves sloshing me till I was soaked out on the swim platform I dropped the end, now I'm done, the new one I cranked the tension screw in now it works perfect. One other thing make sure you flip the kicker handle back towards the kicker or the handle will get caught on something and it won't steer or it will come apart. Don't ask how I know this LOL!!

I know it states not to mess with the tension screw, supposed to purchase their elastic strap, mine did the same thing, it came apart and while trying to disconnect from the I/o under water 2ft waves sloshing me till I was soaked out on the swim platform I dropped the end, now I'm done, the new one I cranked the tension screw in now it works perfect. One other thing make sure you flip the kicker handle back towards the kicker or the handle will get caught on something and it won't steer or it will come apart. Don't ask how I know this LOL!!

yeah I will probably have to mess with that set screw that we are not supposed to touch!

You might want to give the folks that make EZ steer a call to find out what the exact tension is supposed to be set at.

Edited by Sk8man

Replace lost rods on the EZ steer and your wallet takes a big hit.

I found a place that sells parts for the EZ Steer, you can purchase just the piece you need, was like $60 with the joint end in and I replaced the joint in one I had a long time. Anytime you lose something it hit's the wallet. LOL

Edited by pap

Question, I am thinking about an autopilot and I am wondering a garmin tr1 vs an auto pilot on the main motor connected to kicker. My only thought was there are times that it's to rough and I don't run my kicker And I troll with main outboard. Ever have times that you have to troll with main motor and then leaves your autopilot on kicker useless?

Edited by salmonite

I didn't know they made a autopilot just for the kicker? But like you mentioned what about those times you need the main. How much more would it be to auto your main and link the kicker to the main. That way you would have the best of both worlds. I don't know this as I'm learning also. Since my girls are to young to operate the boat, once I get everything going, I've been kicking the idea around, especially since I can't always get someone to go with me all the time sure would make things easier!!