Kicker motor steering options

pjprod

To add an autopilot to your main motor it must have hydraulic steering , which I did not have ( Next Project ) . I don't know if  an autopilot on main motor would work if motor was not running ?  Kicker runs great in rough i water Except going straight into rollers , avoid  it even with Main motor,

Yea, I've had the best luck trolling down hill any way. I have a power steering pump is that what you mean.

Does your power steering pump work when you main is off (i.e. electric/hydraulic)?  That's what he means... some AP systems for your main, require the main to be running for them to work.  Thus, linking to your kicker isn't saving you fuel or much of anything.  This is why Garmin (among others) make AP kicker systems like the TR1 Gold.

No the main turns the pump, I get now, I thought maybe there was a little servo motor that would supply the hydraulic pressure cw or ccw for left or right that would tie into the lines in the back of the steering rack. Thanks for the info FLEET.

Does your power steering pump work when you main is off (i.e. electric/hydraulic)? That's what he means... some AP systems for your main, require the main to be running for them to work. Thus, linking to your kicker isn't saving you fuel or much of anything. This is why Garmin (among others) make AP kicker systems like the TR1 Gold.

I actually Never thought about that.. Thanks for heads up. Any main motor auto pilots run with out the engine being on?

Does the kicker need to be a 4 stroker and if you need a extra boost you can fire up the main and keep the kicker as the steering of the boat?? I could deal with that.

If your talking outboard as the main I've got mine hooked up with an EV-100 and when I want to use the kicker I shut the main down and troll with no issues. Hydraulic pump works like a charm.

yes that is exactly what I was talking about, thanks frogger. So no need for the main engine to be running when using the ev-100. :yes:  :yes: :yes:  :yes:  

Ha ha ya me also, my kicker handle fell forward and caught the corner of the boat, soon it was not doing what the steering wheel said it should. So I climbed out on the swim platform and I dropped the piece off the main. I guarantee one thing I will have a swim noodle on each piece and a test done in the swimming pool before I go on the water this year!! I found a place where you can just buy the piece you need and parts for the easy steer. I also bought the swivel part for one end it was very sloppy.