Ares SCR ?

skipper19

Looking at this to replace the aged and not so easy to fix worn out Woodsman 742. I have done some research online and realize some small disadvantages of a compliant rifle, from reading reviews. Any one have some experience with the Ares? Thinking of it for a woods hunting auto to replace the 742 and some range time that would not be a worry as much as the old 742 in reliability. It has nearly expended it's service life but is a sentimental firearm my father owned since about 1969. Pretty..., but not a good reliable piece. Mark

I looked the gun up, looks sweet, the fellow describing the functions mentioned a lot of AR. parts will interchange but it's not an AR. It has a normal looking but end and a 5 round mag. Which it will accept all the AR clips/magazine. It appears to shoot very well. With a 1-9 twist barrel. I would be happy with it.

I looked the gun up, looks sweet, the fellow describing the functions mentioned a lot of AR. parts will interchange but it's not an AR. It has a normal looking but end and a 5 round mag. Which it will accept all the AR clips/magazine. It appears to shoot very well. With a 1-9 twist barrel. I would be happy with it.

Thanks Pap! Yeah I have only seen reviews as well. It looks like a good woods rifle and something reliable for when it really counts. I would be interested to find what other common rounds it will chamber. Lots of stuff that I have never heard of in cartridge choice, some I have, and some are available but not listed. Just looks like a RELIABLE replace for the aged auto 742 woodsman. It is way lighter than most semi auto rifles making it a choice for mountain hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the reviews indicate 10 lb ish trigger pull........ put an adjustable or replaceable trigger on it and I would be interested.

Yeah, I saw that. Seems like it could be a hindrance on the bench. Still could be alright for hunting, but I would also prefer less pull for best accuracy. So far, I haven't seen any kind of replacement or remedy for that issue. Still, it's made in USA, intended for compliance (stick in the eye of dictatorship), both good with me. Thinking about it anyway. I don't think the trigger pull would be a break the deal issue unless I was bench shooting a lot. I have rifles for that purpose already.