crossing ny state- ontario boundaries while fishing

robert

I was just wondering if I am fishing out of ontario and cross into NY if I have to register or is there a reciprocal agreement of some kind?

The other way around also.

Thanks for the info.

Welcome to the wonderful

World of "post 911" border crossing nightmares.

You will get several answers to your question and all "may" be correct. However, what it comes down to is the "rules"'are open to the interpretation of the Coast guard or Border Patrol agent you're dealing with.

Always have your passport with you as well as another form of ID and be prepared for anything!

Aside from the potential issues regarding fishing it is necessary that we have an awareness of the times in which we are living. That "invisible" line out there represents the border between two sovereign countries and it is being closely monitored by both countries for possible intrusions which have implications far beyond fishing and folks who ignore that could find themselves in a lot of trouble and possibly lose their boats to confiscation....nothing to mess with and you need to make sure you are on solid footing before getting into that situation.

There are also some places  for example on the St.Lawrence where the line comes quite close to land. When I used to fish the Wellesley Isand area I always bought a Canadian license "just in case" I happened to go a bit deep :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

The creation of "Homeland Security" has developed into a cash cow for government agencies on both sides of the border. On the USA side there are airport security and border patrol everywhere. But the Canadian side it has agencies that are working the road to fund their payrolls for actions we took for granted for centuries. Boaters are the main casualties of Americans who will be the targets of enforcements that will hammer your wallet. Let us start with cell phone call in where you must clear your boat and passengers before entering Canadian waters. The cell phone will track your pings where you go or stop. If any of your passengers is a DWI conviction, you are denied entry. Any conviction on your record may order you to travel to a customs area where you may not have enough fuel to return home. Canadian cell phone providers use powerful systems to warn you and themselves of your location even if you do not transmit anything.The best way to fish Canadian waters is to cross over the bridge where your clearance is done.

Now when you call CanPass to get a entry control number for your boat,you and passengers they ask for every person onboard for a Passport Number or Enhanced Drivers License Number,where issued,date of expiration and your birth date.The process can take some time to complete, but if you decide not to call and check in for the control number it could cost you $10,000.00 and loss of boat and equipement.

It's really simple. Just make the call and get your arrival #, or be turned around because someone was denied. This goes for both countries. 

We are fortunate to go across with the same team every year. We do it 4 times a year. The phone call lasts less than 5 minutes, and that's because on record in Canada they have my boat reg# and the people who have come across with me. It's always the same boat and the same people. I'd imagine new people and a new boat would take 10 minutes for the phone call to end.

The b**ch is coming back to the US. That's where the video phone is involved. The crotchety guy sitting and answering that phone makes you pay for his services with his amazing attitude by keeping you on the phone for 20-30 minutes. Nothing is on record so they input new info into their system every time, and they need to speak with each individual that came back across.

We follow the rules and never get our chops busted. It's just a way of life now.