high odds crazy catch

As I was looking at some of my old fishing logs, I came across something that was unreal that I forgot about. In the mid 1990s I was fishing Canandaigua Lake for Smallmouth in 50 feet of water with a jig and I got a fish on. I reeled it up to see that my jig hook was through the loop in a old snelled hook sticking out of the mouth of the Bass. My jig was not in the mouth of the fish, just the loop on the prerigged hook snell. True story...what are the odds of that happening? Id say that was a pretty unlucky fish. I released the fish but dont remember if I was able to get the old hook out (I would of if I could of).  Anyone got any other oddball but true stories?

Many years ago I was trolling for 'eyes off Sturgeon Point bottom bouncing with a three-way rig & spinner & worm.  We were in about 20 - 25 ft of water.  I hooked into something, set the hook & started reeling in, but it didn't feel like a fish.  I kept on reeling & saw that I had hooked into a single piece of mono.  So I set my rod down & started bring in the mono hand-over-hand.  I kept bring it in until there was about 100 yards in the bottom of the boat.  I finally got to the end & it was stuck on something on the bottom.  The motor was in neutral & no matter how much I yanked on the line it wouldn't get free.

So finally, I said enough was enough because I had wasted enough time bring in the line so I tied it around the boat's stern cleat, put the motor in gear & went hoping to break the line.  Well, something broke free & I hand-lined the rest of the mono in.  n the other end was a complete rod & reel set.  It was in very good shape & I used the rod for many years after.  The reel was a crap design & I almost lost it overboard myself a couple of times.  I could see why it fell over after using it a while

Four years ago,while fishing 10 colors leadcore for steelies with a red coho Luhr-Jensen #0 dodger and a SS Dreamweaver orange crush I got a hit so hard,that it broke the line at the rod. It appeared that I had lost the fish,the hardware and 10 colors of leadcore,but while cursing for setting the drag too tight,I saw a huge fish jumping and slashing the surface behind the boat. We turned the boat around real quick , moved down on the fish and netted it.Next I took the line and followed it all the way to the break off spot. I retied and continued fishing with it. Later we weighed the fish in. The scales stopped at 16 pounds and 4 ounces. It was the biggest steelhead of the day in the summer derby,except that my fishing buddy did not sign in for the derby. Oh well that would have been too much luck in one day.

Edited by rolmops

Fishing minnow rigs one night, I lost a rig on a fish, another on a snag and on the last fish of the night I got a short walleye and the lil sucker had all three of my hooks in it.  The minnow must have come out of the snag and got eaten.

Another time I caught a 8 inch largemouth with a smithwick and cordell? jerkbaits hooked lightly into its gill plate area. That's my minnow sticking out of its mouth.

Several times I have been cut off only to catch the chain later in the day with my gear still in its mouth.

post-149943-0-57379800-1452371508_thumb.jpg

Many years ago fishing for perch in about 60 ft of water on Seneca I was using two rods and had one in the rod holder while I fished the other.I had a double on and jumped up quick and my knee hit the rod in the holder (that had my favorite ultralight in it) and it went overboard and sunk in the 60 ft before I could do anything.  I was pissed but I chalked it up to fishing and pretty much forgot about it. A couple years laterI was jerking copper wire with a Pfleuger 4 spoon right on bottom for lakers and I snagged something that I thought was a tree branch from the bottom. When I got it up to the boat I realized it was my lost rod and reel still in good condition (before the zebras came) and I had engraved my name on the reel so I was absolutely sure of the ownership :lol: . I disassembled the reel when I got home dried it out and put it back together and I still have it down cellar :)  What do you suppose the odds are of that happening?

Once in Quebec with some buddys, we were out in a boat fishing near camp and we could see our other buddy fishing from a big rock on shore. All of a sudden I see him throw his rod down in disgust and what appeared to be yelling and looking mad. We went over there to see what was going on and he said he just got broke off by a nice Pike using a Daredevil. One of my other buddys says," let me take a cast to see if I can get you your lure back" and sure enough after about 2 casts, he hooks the Pike with my buddys Daredevil in its mouth, lands it and gives my amazed buddy his lure back! 

Thats was 2 days after we took a break while fishing to eat a bologna sandwich while fishing. For some reason, I remember throwing half of it in the water and low and behold a nice big Pike came up and ate it next to the boat! Crazy fish up there.

Last spring while jigging for walleyes on a buddys boat, I hooked something heavy ...I knew it  wasn't a fish, but Bruce got the net ready anyway. We laughed when I landed the 6 foot plug in Perko Anchor/Running light with American Flag !

When you shove off from the dock for a day of fishing, what are the odds of you hooking up with a Perko plug in light while jigging?

A million to 1 ? Not sure of the odds but I'm sure it is pretty high ! lol

P1010334.jpg

Edited by choo-choo

I dropped a dipsey rod that fired as I pulled it out if the rod holder with one hand while talking on the cell phone DUH I popped the outside rigger on that same side and as the flasher fly blew back it caught the dipsey rod between two middle eyes Brought in the dipsey rod unhooked and landed the 26# king that pulled the rod out of my hand. Talking on cell phones can be detrimental while fishing lol

Last fall my high rigger fired and started screaming right away. Instantly we noticed something at the surface way behind the boat but it wasn't budging. After a long struggle we boated an Offshore starboard planer with a ton of braid attached. After hand lining at least 100 yards of braid and a snap weight we landed a 5lb heathy lake trout.

Ended up losing the board last season while fishing at night... Easy come easy go.

Edited by alex1young

• 2 weeks later...

when I was a kid I lost a #3 mepps aglia to a big pickerel. I re-rigged with a daredevil and a bout three casts later brought in the pickerel with my mepps in it's mouth, the treble hook holding it's jaw partially closed.

my brother caught a big steelie by hooking the eyelet of a swivel attached to a hook in it's jaw.

strange things happen.

As I was looking at some of my old fishing logs, I came across something that was unreal that I forgot about. In the mid 1990s I was fishing Canandaigua Lake for Smallmouth in 50 feet of water with a jig and I got a fish on. I reeled it up to see that my jig hook was through the loop in a old snelled hook sticking out of the mouth of the Bass. My jig was not in the mouth of the fish, just the loop on the prerigged hook snell. True story...what are the odds of that happening? Id say that was a pretty unlucky fish. I released the fish but dont remember if I was able to get the old hook out (I would of if I could of).  Anyone got any other oddball but true stories?

I had the same thing happen to me float fishing for smallies on the Susky in PA.  Float went down, fish came in, and my jig was about 4" in front of it's face, in the loop of an old snell.

my wife and i were fishing for catfish with cut bait. her bobber was moving real slow towards shore and under a tree so she set the hook. fish on she said a big one but as she was trying to get it in it splashed and i said holy mackeral it has 2 tails and it looks like a fin. the fish seemed to go back and forth and she struggled with it. finally she got it in and we couldnt believe our eyes 2 fins on one hook and one bait. the line was right through the one fin and the other fin must have pulled the hook away and into its mouth. 

IMG_0312.jpg

When I was younger I was perch fishing in Lake Erie.  When I raised the rod I felt weight but it didn't feel fishy... I reeled up and upon inspection my hook went directly into the opening of a Pepsi can and got lodged into the corner.  Pretty wild.  Did my part cleaning up the lake that day.