How good are the Okuma GLT rods?

I have made the switch from glts to blue diamonds and I love them. I have the mediums for paddles and ml for spoons. I'd be willing to let you borrow a medium glt or 2 if you want to check them out though

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks vince and rob. I might bust a move before spring rob, but thanks for offer. Maybe next meeting bring your okuma rods. What length are you guys running? I am thinking 7.5 till paddle time then have the 8 for that. The glt i had felt in the 7.5 would bend right over on a salmon, but i am ok with that. I have been using the 8.3 ugly stiks for ever for everything.

I run the same rod for both spoons and paddels..... do you guys really think it makes a difference?

Not at all. The medium lights arent really built to handle a paddle and with fishing spoons the light action allows you to enjoy the fish a bit more. If i had to pick one rod then it would be the medium action.

Yanky, i never got my cat rods from tom. Your'e just jealous. If they made bamboo rigger rods might have to try em. I put a reel on a 7.6 glt and the line hits the rod hard. The action was nice but it needs more guides imo. Should'nt you be up north riding with that fresh 3+ feet of whiteness?

Edited by brucehookedup

I run the 8'-6" medium action GLT rods for 5 seasons now for salmon, trout and walleye. They are a little overkill for walleye but they work. Great rod for the money. If I was a little more dedicated/fished more I would invest into the diamond rods but as a rec. fisherman I don't need them.

I have been using 8.3 ugly stiks all season for rigs for eons. Diver rods are st. Croix 10' low divers r 8' eagle claw or shake sphere 8' catfish rod which is perfect for low paddles. I run 9' okuma GLT for my coppers. From what I am seeing I might just stick with my stiks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had most of my rods for 6 seasons going on 7 and haven't had one break. I know a number of charters that use them. Ugly sticks are a nice rod too but double the price of the GLT. If I ever need to replace my GLT I could replace it and still be less that the ugly sticks.

Edited by Chas0218

One of the things that strikes me about this issue is that it is like a lot of other things with much of the fishing equipment we use on Lake O .....a lot of it is "overkill". The heavy duty salt water guys (e.g tuna fishermen etc.) would probably laugh like hell over some of our concerns. Kings fight like heck and likewise with good steelies but sometimes folks get carried away with the "issues" (myself included). If a rod is pretty solid at the lower section and not plagued with hairline cracks which may or may not be visible to the naked eye they are nearly all "serviceable" for these fish. In the old days before the advent of all this fancy fishing stuff (and fleas) we started out with medium duty spinning rods with 12 lb line and landed many kings (1970's).  The novice  fisherman just starting out now days after seeing our usual comments here may believe that you have to have 1,000 Yard capacity on reels and heavy duty boat rods to land these fish and that is not the case. I've used the Okuma Classic GLT's in medium as well as the Diawa Wilderness medium rods (similar to the GLT's) for multipurpose use (downriggers, inlines, toplines etc.) and for most situations they work fine. They are inexpensive rods but serviceable when treated and used properly. There are some situations that stiffer shorter rods seem to be a little easier and more convenient to use for me at least and for wire dipseys I prefer 6 ft. roller tips medium action while other folks may prefer a 10 ft. rod with a twilli tip. They are a lot more convenient to store in the boat and it seems to me quicker to get fish in with (for release purposes). I also have 7 ft. Ugly Sticks for general use  which I like and they are durable and stiffer than some of the other rods but I don't view them as "essential" to the fishing mission :) .  Most of the issue centers around personal preference with most of this stuff. The issues for the charter guys are somewhat different for them as many different folks are handling the equipment and it makes sense to have highly durable rods and reels, and keeping them the same for consistency and some "overkill" because of the frequent rough handling of the equipment by folks who don't really understand the potential limitations of the stuff. The avid sport fisherman can get away with less "durable"  less expensive equipment if properly used and taken care of. I've had about a dozen of my salmon rods and reels (mainly Diawa 47H's) for over 30 years and without servicing of any kind (but taken care of and not abused).  Just another perspective offered and hopefully it won't alienate anyone :lol: and the comments are intended for the less experienced folks on a tight budget looking to get into the sport.

Edited by Sk8man