How Light a Rod for Lake Ontario

pmjasper

Hi guys, I'm planning my first trip up to Lake Ontario during mid-May and have to pick up a few rods for the trip. Now down here in NJ, I use a fairly light action rod when trolling for trout or to be used for downrigger fishing. A combo similar to the Eagle Claw Starfire Series SF407 and an Abu Garcia 6500 seem to do the trick but I'm not sure if it's stout enough for Lake Ontario. Since I won't be making frequent trips up to the big lake, I don't want to buy gear that won't see use or is overmatched for the fish here in NJ....and of course price is always a consideration. I was looking at the Diawa Accudepth series reels and rods for about $75 a combo and Cabelas has a similar combo fro about the same price. Any thoughts?

[email protected]

Guest ReelDiel

that would be a good combo. for your situation. i will be posting some reels for sale that u may be intrested in 5 - Daiwa Sealines 27H for $125 plus $`10 to ship watch the classifieds

Guest ReelDiel

getting rid of some extras i am working on a deal with a large company. if it goes through i will be able to upgrade some stuff at a fair price so i'm going to clean out some old. mostly bass gear but i working on the list should have it posted sometime today.

I looked at the Accudepth reels from Diawa and wasn't impressed at all. I then picked up two Quantum Indicator trolling reels but will be returning them today or tomorrow. The spool control knobs are cheap plastic and held onto the reel by plastic threads. Last night, after I got the reels home, the spool control knob could be popped on and off without screwing it onto the threads. Bad sign, so they are getting returned today. Too bad because they were smoother than the Diawa Accudepth reels.

[email protected]

The sealine series is a better reel but they are coming out with a new version of the Accudepth called the Accudepth plus.You could go with the tek's at a cost of about $180 a pc but well worth the $$.If I had the cash I would buy a couple but I don't.My SG47LC worked awsome last year.they go for $95.00.But that's just my 2 cents.

That's what I may do. You see, my big debate is do I go with a line counter reel or a straight baitcasting reel. Again, down here in NJ, my two Abu Garcia 6500 reels have taken everything from stripers and bluefish to musky and trout. I have a lot of confidence in those reels and under my budget they can fulfil a multitude of situations. Of coarse, they are not the best for Lake Ontario but I'm only heading up there initially this one time in May. I believe they could readily take spring salmon, but I also like the line counter feature for trolling, which I do a lot of here in NJ. I'll probably end up going with two Diawa Sealine reels but i'm still waiting on making the final decision.

[email protected]

Pmjasper,

As long as your reels can hold up to 300 yds of 15 to 20 lb line they should work out fine.But if your looking at coming up more and more You should invest in the best reels you can afford(line counter).You will under stand what I'm talking about when you get your first big king salmon on.It will tell you if your reels are big enough :lol: They are a completely different breed of fish than a striper muskys or blue fish.If your not carefull a salmon can spool you before you know it and then you are left standing there with an empty reel and out of about 25$ worth of gear and line(been there done that :x )I will guarantee that you will be hooked on salmon fishing after you catch or hook up with a King.So think about the future when making your decision ;) Good luck I think you will make the right one :D God I love this Sport come on spring :P:P:P

P.S.I feel like I'm whinng to you I apologize if I came across like that.It's just my opinion :lol: