2015/2016 waterfowl season..

Besides opening day in October. I didn't get out for popcorn ducks. I was too busy with repairs on the Big boat. The split was relatively uneventful for us. We had a game plan to strictly target Canvasbacks, but the warmer weather slowed the migration. Well I thought the season was a bust, and we timed it right. Had the most incredible shoot on some true trophy Bulls with Bluebills and redheads thrown in. As fast as the birds arrived, they beat fear and were on to parts unknown. For a change of pace we went on a sea duck shoot which was exactly how I remember.... Easy.... It was a nice change of pace, but I miss the Can spot. Today we fought wicked winds, rain, and a blizzard. The Cans did fly, but they had their O2 masks ondue to the altitude. Overall, I was pleased with the results.... Next December feels like a long time away....

post-139783-14524728019188_thumb.jpg

post-139783-14524728211759_thumb.jpg

post-139783-14524728820667_thumb.jpg

post-139783-14524729010499_thumb.jpg

post-139783-14524729153881_thumb.jpg

I've been waiting all season for ur report! Well done and glad u made the best of an unusually warm diver season. Absolute beautiful birds n picks. Glad to see u still have that hardcore pursuit for them. Keep it up:)

Take care and see u at the sandy shoot out.

Eli

It was basically a grind..... I've talked to a lot of guys that had good days in fields with sky carp and Mallards. For me , shooting a big bull Can is like you bow hunters who wait for that big buck... I spent a lot of money on fuel scouting, a lot of time watching the sky.... and a lot of swearing at flocks of Merganzers that looked like flocks of Cans from a distance..lol... A lot of guys think it's as easy as putting out a dozen mallards and using their $5.00 Duck Commander call they bought at wallmart the day before...lol.... figuring out loafing areas, feeding areas, the wind...how to properly set decoys to guide the birds into the "Kill Zone". Some groups of guys stand up and gang shoot into flocks and divide up the birds. I witnessed this a lot this year on a Finger Lake... I always ask, how do you know which bird you killed? If a big flock comes in, we have one guy shoot....and we try to only take one bird from a flock.... This way there is no question who shot what, and nobody is shooting over their limit.... sorry for the rant guys.... I take diver hunting as serious as I do Lake fishing..... looks like a Maine trip is getting planned for next year....

It was basically a grind..... I've talked to a lot of guys that had good days in fields with sky carp and Mallards. For me , shooting a big bull Can is like you bow hunters who wait for that big buck... I spent a lot of money on fuel scouting, a lot of time watching the sky.... and a lot of swearing at flocks of Merganzers that looked like flocks of Cans from a distance..lol... A lot of guys think it's as easy as putting out a dozen mallards and using their $5.00 Duck Commander call they bought at wallmart the day before...lol.... figuring out loafing areas, feeding areas, the wind...how to properly set decoys to guide the birds into the "Kill Zone". Some groups of guys stand up and gang shoot into flocks and divide up the birds. I witnessed this a lot this year on a Finger Lake... I always ask, how do you know which bird you killed? If a big flock comes in, we have one guy shoot....and we try to only take one bird from a flock.... This way there is no question who shot what, and nobody is shooting over their limit.... sorry for the rant guys.... I take diver hunting as serious as I do Lake fishing..... looks like a Maine trip is getting planned for next year....

We hunted seneca one day.the birds came in around a point so fast you didnt have much time to get ready,lol  they were gone so fast.yes diver hunting is fun.I put my strings in a 32 gallon can one string per can about 25 deeks.So it doesnt take me long to set up.I think net year im going to try and rent a cottage and stay there for the late season  .The driving is where the problem is.

Was hoping they might extend the season due to such poor weather.