brown trout setup advice

Wanting to kill the winter blues by adding some brown trout gear to the arsenal.  Not really interested in catching browns on my big salmon gear so was looking to pick up a few setups for spring browns.    Have riggers and big boards to use for trolling in tight, any suggestions on rod reel setups?  Do I need a line counter or can I get away with some spin casting gear to enjoy the fight?   We have never fished brownies so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Diawa Accudepth line-counter reels are inexpensive and sized right for browns.  I spool up with 15 lb mono and leader down to 12 lb mono.  Fishermen east of Olcott usually run Fluorocarbon leaders because of clearer waters.  The 7' one piece light-action ugly stick rod is a perfect match.  You could always use spinning reels or bass baitcasters you may own if you don't want to buy anymore tackle.  Your salmon reels spooled with 30 lb mono work good when you want to pound the shoreline with your boards.  The heavy line keeps your baits running high so not to snag bottom (just add a leader of lighter line and set the drag lighter- for the leader material)

Edited by Gill-T

Thank you to all for responses. Paul, I hear Bay Rats will have that BT candy avail at show! I preordered 5 last night. Figured if they are one of you're favorites, how could a guy go wrong? Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That 2nd one looks like it came from a storm mold. If they have the storm molds the walleye guys will be going nuts!

Finally a lure company that builds strong lures, great action no tuning work great right out of the box and good color that isn't gone after a few battles with the Northerns that seem to lurk the same waters as eyes. I said to my uncle finally eye candy for fisherman and fish LOL.

Finally a lure company that builds strong lures, great action no tuning work great right out of the box and good color that isn't gone after a few battles with the Northerns that seem to lurk the same waters as eyes. I said to my uncle finally eye candy for fisherman and fish LOL.

The wobble on these are nice and wide perfect for spring Eyes and Northerns.

That's great to hear that precision trolling has realized these lures are here to stay. If Mark thought anything less about the rats he surely wouldn't be wasting his time swimming these lures past a guy holding a measuring stick.

Diawa Accudepth line-counter reels are inexpensive and sized right for browns.  I spool up with 15 lb mono and leader down to 12 lb mono.  Fishermen east of Olcott usually run Fluorocarbon leaders because of clearer waters.  The 7' one piece light-action ugly stick rod is a perfect match.  You could always use spinning reels or bass baitcasters you may own if you don't want to buy anymore tackle.  Your salmon reels spooled with 30 lb mono work good when you want to pound the shoreline with your boards.  The heavy line keeps your baits running high so not to snag bottom (just add a leader of lighter line and set the drag lighter- for the leader material)

I second the Daiwa Accudepth's I use them for walleyes and browns and lakers in the spring. We use uglysticks as well and i use 15lb mono down to 10lb fluoro leaders for the walleyes and trout.

I run a mix of challenger, rapala, smithwick,and thunderstick...... im just getting some bay rats in the mix. Mostly fishing oswego to rochester..... i havnt tried many of the shorter bodied sticks..... would you say you have better sucess on the shorter sticks or the longer sticks?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Lake Ontario United mobile app