saw this today about remmington 700

dgio67

My next gun(s) are either CZ or another Tikka T3. My CZ american triple duece is a great rifle shoots straight with any ammo.

Remington used to be a good name. My 870, 7600 Gamemaster (from the 60s), and wifes 770 are all great guns but the new ones are junk. My dad bought the VTR in .308 and is an accurate gun but still a 700, wonder if it is effected like the ones in the article. I think they outsourced the actions to be made somewhere else/re-designed and it bit them in the butt by cutting corners. Lots of people are jumping off the Remington ship myself included.

I do believe Remington redesigned the trigger set once they started getting taken to court for accidents. the new 700's are a different design.

here's an interesting David Petzal article that I just found. He stands firmly behind the 700. Thoughts on this piece of literature?

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2010/10/petzal-different-look-remington-model-700-trigger

Edited by WoodieBoater

Is it a he said she said or is it another anti gun propaganda move.  Hair triggers - I thought they were hollywood myths - maybe not.

Rule #1

Never point a gun at anything you don't want to shoot/kill even if you believe it to be unloaded.  1st lesson - to be constantly reinforced. 

I don't know what is going on with Remingtons triggers.  My Remington is fine and I have never had any inclination that something is wrong with it.  I am inclined to believe that the liberal media is biased and more dangerous than ........ (you fill it in).

I agree with your #1 rule for sure.

I think Remington has an issue. How severe and at what capacity it is... who knows. The media probably blew it out of proportion. But it seems like there is a consistently repeating issue with the same system. that would point to a design flaw in my opinion.

Did the media blow it up? yeah probly. Are there plenty of guns that don't have any issues after thousands of rounds of use? definitely. are there guns that are misfiring? seems like that's the case. and if that's the case, I don't need it in my life. that's my opinion.

Edited by WoodieBoater

For what it's worth, if you do go on to the website to look up your serial# to see if it has the Defective trigger, you get a 20% discount code to Remington's website just for checking. I also agree with rule #1 however if mine were to fire on its own sitting on my lap in the tree stand with the safety on???? I'm thinking there might be a little problem.

Not a he said/she said or an anti-gun propaganda......I personally witnessed two times (1997 & 1998) Remington 700 30-06 rifle discharges

Both times they were being unloaded after a day of deer hunting....... both times different guns, different hunters (not me)

In 1998 at lunch after I was telling the story about my nephews gun going off the year before, one guy in the hunting party said "Impossible, I bought my Rem 700 23 yrs ago and my gun has never discharged on it's own"........at the end of the day while he was unloading as soon as he put the safety in the fire position to unload the gun fired

The guns in question have been the older ones with two-position safety.....in order to unload the safety has to be put in the fire position......that's when they go bang......all the newer guns with three position safety are not the questionable ones

My granddaughter had a Rem 700 in .243 that was purchased 2 yrs. ago.  After seeing about the issue early last year and going to the Remington website, it was determined that hers was one of the ones that the trigger assembly would be replaced for free.  Remington sent the shipping packaging, replaced the questionable parts, and paid shipping costs both ways.  The whole process worked easily.  I think the gun was gone about 2 months.

I have some newer 700's and a custom built rifle on a 700 action no problems with them. I did have a 700 in 300 mag when I was a kid it would fire when you put the safety off. Didn't know about this problem back then so my dad took it to a gunsmith and had it fixed. This was 25 years ago so I'm sure they have known for years that they had a problem.

Thanks for the input - I guess it is just like Cosby - too much smoke for there not to be a fire.

Remington should be more proactive and seems like they should have been so much sooner.  There is more at stake than just dollars.  As we have seen it only takes one politician with an agenda and half the turkey guns sold are now illegal in NYS.

About ten years ago I had my Remington 7600 30-06 pump discharge while over my shoulder after a drive with my buddies? They said what's did you do?i said nothing,ya right,my hands we not even on the gun,so I ejected the shell chambered another and in 5 seconds with my hands not near the trigger goes off again! I said see I told ya,so I unloaded it switch guns,then took it to the Remington plant in Ilion NY,they checked it out and said nothing is wrong with it?still in my gun safe since?dont trust it!

Edited by Giz9219

Remington does have a recall out on some 700. The 700 they are recalling have a trigger called XMark pro. You can go to Remington recalls put in your serial number and see if yours is recalled. Luckily mine's not.