UV Spoons, Attractors, Flies, etc

With all the talk about UV and the way it hit the market the last couple of years my Arsenal of UV is growing.

Question I have what is the best overall condition to use these? Deep? Overcast? Sunny? Shallow? Etc

I have a mix of all the big spoons and attractor and fly combos but can honestly say that I haven't noticed the UV being any more productive then my typical non UV go to's.

I'm sure it's what I'm doing or when I'm using them. Just looking for others advice

With paddles I have caught nothing on straight UV.  When I added glow slick or glow crush they start hitting.  UV is not new as I believe the crush overlay on the glow crush tape that has killed more kings on the great lakes than any other pattern is a UV material designed to protect the glow tape underneath from the harmful effects of UV degradation from the sun (someone can correct me if I am wrong). A lot of good fly patterns have "little boy blue" strands in them so you may have been using UV stuff longer than you think.  Anglers Avenue offers a UV-glow tape for echips or spin doggies that looks great and will see time off the back of my boat.  Mostly, I think the UV catches fishermen.  We are all guilty of looking for the "magic bait" that no fish can resist.  To me UV is an accent.....nothing more.

Edited by Gill-T

With paddles I have caught nothing on straight UV.   Mostly, I think the UV catches fishermen.  We are all guilty of looking for the "magic bait" that no fish can resist.  To me UV is an accent.....nothing more.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING AND HAVE EXPERIENCED..........

Edited by PolarBear

I have had very good luck with UV stingers for browns and kings.  I also field tested some Hammerhead Cowbells in UV last summer and it put some really good lakers in the boat.  What I noticed with the UV cowbells is they only worked good on bright sunny days.  Cloudy days, they were slower than the original of the same color pattern. 

Well I had one UV spoon that took a lot of hits, more than average. It was a Dreamweaver Blue Leopard Double UV. Got it at the LOTSA Salmon School last Jan! 

It seemed to work best when the sun was up just after 8 am.

Anyhow my line got cutoff after a tangle and I haven't been able to replace it since.

I've used other UV lures, and they really didn't show any magic, but that one Dreamweaver became a go to for me.

Pick up a UV flashlite $6 at Lowes and shine it on your stuff.  That will show the UV reactive lures.  Other are UV reflective.  The one flasher I have reflects light from the tablelamp in the family room 45'  accross the celler .   A chrome flasher won't .  I feel it makes the lures more visable to the fish, gets their attention.    The old black and glow& green Nk  The green lights up more than the glow does with UV light.  The same looking tape on a brandX spoon the green dosen't light up at all .  Even though they look the same to out eyes.