MVP Brown Trout Bait

With the count down to spring brown trout fishing starting I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's best brown trout bait from last year.

I had a tough time for them last spring but my best bait was the storm jr thunderstick in prismflash gold shiner and got a few on a gold vibrax spinner with a 3/8 keel weight.

I took the hook off a vibrax spinner added a 18" fluro and a slow death hook add worm and bingo. Never saw a trout refuse a juice worm, Smithwicks and bay rats, the goby rat worked the best and old faithful Smithwicks orange bottom with a gold/black top.

i have multiple special mate boxes full of just "Brown Trout" lures....hundreds of them (I fish for browns more than any other lake O species).

However, if I could only use ONE lure for browns, just one, for the rest of my life, it would be the riplin redfin.

I wish they made a slightly smaller version!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by minion

well, here ya go.

the "new" versions are ripplin redfins (extra "p"), the older versions were "riplin" redfins.....both work.

they are a little bigger than the lures it appears you guys run on the south shore, however, while we don't have the numbers of browns you guys have, our average size is slightly bigger.....

a 6lbs brown (which is our average size) inhales a ripplin redfin without issue.

I upsize the front and back treble to a #4 Gammy 2x rb, and remove the middle treble.

blue/silver, black/silver, or the older purple versions work best for my boat.

Edited by steve-hamilton