MVP Brown Trout Bait

Really don't have a fav. Spoon, but brands are stingers. Probably have a dozen go to stingers and pirates depending on conditions in the spring. Clear/dirty, chop ,no chop temp etc.

Summer browns, stingers, stingrays, mags and evil eyes. Colors depending on depth and conditions.

Line test 10 main line. 8# floro early spring to 10#floor leader all season.

• 4 weeks later...

How do you guys keep the spoons and bay rats from hitting bottom in shallow water? what depth is a good starting point? I would like to pick up some bay rats what color do you guys like?

When fishing water less than 15' deep spoons are run off riggers 2-6' down and 60' back. Short shallow

Bay Rat sticks are generally run 75-100' back on inlines or big boards. Run that way you'll be fine into about 8' of water.

Less than that and you'll need to shorten your set backs.

How do you guys keep the spoons and bay rats from hitting bottom in shallow water? what depth is a good starting point? I would like to pick up some bay rats what color do you guys like?

With spoons you won't hit the bottom fishing 4ft or better if anything you might have to add 1or 2 split shots. I like to use at the least 5ft of flurocarbon leader, I put the split shot on the fluro up at the connection from main line to leader. If you have like Smithwicks lures, bomber long A's their depth is 2-7ft you can send your planers right in the shallows. You can run your heavier lines to keep your lures up also. You can do the same with your sticks. Hopefully you'll find a scum line in shallow or where the muddy water meets the green looking water and work that line doing s turns in and out of that line. If they hit in the dirty water stay in there if they hit the green same deal. I like to run one spread in the dirt and the other in the green. Sometimes there is no scum line, then I run and gun hoping to find that sweet spot.

Edited by pap

After reading this let me fix some of my talk when I say spoon I ment like Michigan stinger, and Sutton spoons like the 44's and smaller, DreamWeavers, and Super Slims, Alpenia, light spoons, not casting spoons such as little Cleo's in the heavier weights. Basically flutter spoons.

• 2 weeks later...