Which down speed & temp system do you recommend?

I'm looking for comparisons of the different systems that are out there. Do they require coated downrigger cable? Are all of them wireless? What do you LIKE about your system and what DON'T you like about your system? What are your thoughts about that company's customer service? Which unit is the most and least user friendly? Have you had any reliability issues with your unit?

Your input will help me decide which unit to put on my boat this spring, so thanks in advance :)

Thanks for the input. $499 is a really good price compared to most other prices I've seen.

The reason it is taking me a long time to decide is because I have 2 boats that I use for deep water fishing. My 19ft Sea Nymph is the only boat I use on Lake O. My 16ft row boat gets used on every other lake that I fish in northern NY, to include lakes that are over 90ft deep and hold lake trout, other trout species, and LL salmon (even though I have yet to locate any LL). My 16ft boat has no downriggers, so I fish the depths with dipsy divers in that boat. In a perfect world I could have a system on both boats, but that's not happening any time soon. I thought about the Fish Hawk TD because I could interchange it between both boats. The boat that gets the most use is the 16 footer because some of my favorite fishing spots have a 10hp limit.

The TD isn't the best system out there but it might be my best option initially, until I can fit a bigger unit into my budget. I don't use a credit card for stuff like that, so I might have to have a yard sale this spring and hope my wife doesn't notice her stuff missing :itwasntme:

Edited by Todd in NY

The TD will help with temp/depth relationships but not down speed. They work well for that application and are very portable and nice for seeing how deep your wires coppers and leadcores are running along with the temps at those depths

Smart Troll. No other system can do what it does. You can put up to 6 probes on one system including on copper or wire lines.

Least blowback.

Very versatile.

I have some breakoffs every year, so I would be worried that the probes would be lost. I have always had a Fishawk, & it suits my needs very well.

John

Great discussion guys, thanks for the feedback. Now I have more research to do. I'm curious about the copper core rigger wire too.

Yep, I saw that yesterday that Moor closed their doors at the end of 2015. No more new Sub Trolls after the current new stock is sold.

Edited by Todd in NY

The Smart Troll web site states that if you have an outboard or I/O, you may need 2 transducers because the outdrive could block the signal between the transducer on one side of the transom trying to communicate with the probe on the other side of the boat. I can see that being possible at shallower depths and/or narrow boats. My boat is only 7' 2" wide. The basic kit with 1 probe and 1 transducer is $799.

I have some breakoffs every year, so I would be worried that the probes would be lost. I have always had a Fishawk, & it suits my needs very well.John

If you are worried about breakoffs the smart troll can still be hooked onto the rigger cables as per the fishhawk. In fact you can put a probe on each rigger to get true depth of each one plus you can track top and bottom of the thermocline.

However I've had a smart troll for 4 years and have never lost a probe. The way it's secured to the wire line will mean it would take a catastrophic accident to lose the probe. Chances are basically none of losing the probe. Although I appreciate a new users concern over this, it actually isn't an issue at all.

Knowing where your copper and wireline is will suprise you. Most of the time we are a good 10 to 25 ft off target which is important for fish that are turned off.

Anyhow my buddy uses the X4 and it's reliable but the smart troll does have an irrefutable technical advantage over the fishhawk.

If you are worried about breakoffs the smart troll can still be hooked onto the rigger cables as per the fishhawk. In fact you can put a probe on each rigger to get true depth of each one plus you can track top and bottom of the thermocline.

However I've had a smart troll for 4 years and have never lost a probe. The way it's secured to the wire line will mean it would take a catastrophic accident to lose the probe. Chances are basically none of losing the probe. Although I appreciate a new users concern over this, it actually isn't an issue at all.

Knowing where your copper and wireline is will suprise you. Most of the time we are a good 10 to 25 ft off target which is important for fish that are turned off.

Anyhow my buddy uses the X4 and it's reliable but the smart troll does have an irrefutable technical advantage over the fishhawk.

Is your boat an inboard, outboard, or I/O? Just wondering about Smart Troll's warning about the outdrive possibly blocking the signal between probe and transducer on opposite sides of the boat.