Which down speed & temp system do you recommend?

What is causing all of your break offs?

I said that I have a few breakoffs/yr. which is not unusual, I have had a mono rigger line cut off by wire from a feisty king running all over the back of the boat. Hard to get all the wire out with two guys. It's stuff like that, certainly not terminal tackle or line. Not sure where you were going with this.

John

If you are going to buy the Smart troll for $800.00 just to hook it to any rigger, it is a waste. You can do the same thing with the X4d for less money. If you want the versatility to put it on a copper or diver, it might be worth the risk. To me, sh*t happens and the chance of a wire or copper break is way higher than losing a rigger probe.

Edited by GAMBLER

I said that I have a few breakoffs/yr. which is not unusual, I have had a mono rigger line cut off by wire from a feisty king running all over the back of the boat. Hard to get all the wire out with two guys. It's stuff like that, certainly not terminal tackle or line. Not sure where you were going with this.John

Not going anywhere at all, just wanted to know for the purpose of gaining some knowledge. I'm still really new to downrigger fishing. I've seen plenty of tangles caused my multiple hook-ups, especially in the Gulf of Mexico. They don't always end well for the fishermen.

I have an I/O. I'm pretty sure they have fixed the interference issues.

I've never heard anyone complain about it with any of the systems out there. The fact that they mention it on their web site made me curious. Otherwise I would've never given it any thought.

The new X4D with blue tooth is $750-$800 so I guess it boils down to preference when they cost nearly the same.

Decisions decisions...

I've never heard anyone complain about it with any of the systems out there. The fact that they mention it on their web site made me curious. Otherwise I would've never given it any thought.

The new X4D with blue tooth is $750-$800 so I guess it boils down to preference when they cost nearly the same.

Decisions decisions...

Yes preference and features. The X4 cannot do what the smart troll does.

Decisions decisions...

Todd,

Just thought I would chime to let you know that I put that information about two transducers because I could see the possibility when Smart Troll was first launched. However, to date there has NOT been any user or boat that has needed two transducers so it appears that in practical use it is not an issue. Just mount the transducer outboard (away from the motor) as much as possible and you still have line of sight to the Probes that are on the opposite side of the boat because they are down and behind the boat a hundred feet or so.

Since the Probes can be attached directly to the line you are getting signals basically straight from the lure. You will be surprised how much small changes in down-speed affects the depth of the lure. o.5 MPH can change the depth by 20 feet or more. Even if you don't have a Probe with Speed...you can tell the speed changed because the depth of the lure will change. Of course, other things can make the depth change also such as a small fish that doesn't trip the release, if you pick up a weed or trash, if your diver release pops even if there is no fish on, etc... And the depth will also change during turns and in waves (because of the pulling back and forth on the rod tips). The point is if you have it set at 50 feet (or whatever) and the depth changes even though you didn't change anything it is up to you to figure out why but at least that change doesn't just go unnoticed for a couple of hours. If everything seems OK...then you can take whatever is action necessary to get back to your target depth or temperature. Or if you catch a fish during a turn with Smart Troll you can see how deep your gear was when the bite happened so you would then have a new "target depth".

Edited by Smart Troll

Smart Troll and Tyee, thanks for the information!

I bought my 19ft Sea Nymph last July. It sat for 2 years and needed some TLC, so I spent all of last year (July thru October) getting it ready for this year. The one thing I'm still needing is a down speed/temp/depth system, which is why I'm asking all these questions. I finally have the time to pursue my fishing passion after retiring from the army, so I appreciate the feedback and discussion. 99% of my big water experience is on the Gulf of Mexico (roughly 800 fishing trips), and I never worked on a boat that had down riggers on the Texas gulf coast.

Todd,

Just thought I would chime to let you know that I put that information about two transducers because I could see the possibility when Smart Troll was first launched. However, to date there has NOT been any user or boat that has needed two transducers so it appears that in practical use it is not an issue. Just mount the transducer outboard (away from the motor) as much as possible and you still have line of sight to the Probes that are on the opposite side of the boat because they are down and behind the boat a hundred feet or so.

Since the Probes can be attached directly to the line you are getting signals basically straight from the lure. You will be surprised how much small changes in down-speed affects the depth of the lure. o.5 MPH can change the depth by 20 feet or more. Even if you don't have a Probe with Speed...you can tell the speed changed because the depth of the lure will change. Of course, other things can make the depth change also such as a small fish that doesn't trip the release, if you pick up a weed or trash, if your diver release pops even if there is no fish on, etc... And the depth will also change during turns and in waves (because of the pulling back and forth on the rod tips). The point is if you have it set at 50 feet (or whatever) and the depth changes even though you didn't change anything it is up to you to figure out why but at least that change doesn't just go unnoticed for a couple of hours. If everything seems OK...then you can take whatever is action necessary to get back to your target depth or temperature. Or if you catch a fish during a turn with Smart Troll you can see how deep your gear was when the bite happened so you would then have a new "target depth".

No doubt, I have totally turned my opinion around about the smart troll with all the new info and a couple of my buddies having this. I wouldn't worry about losing the probes at all either. I can't remember the last time I broke off a dipsy. I don't think I ever have. I just can't get my head around at the price right now. Looks like a very good product.

No doubt, I have totally turned my opinion around about the smart troll with all the new info and a couple of my buddies having this. I wouldn't worry about losing the probes at all either. I can't remember the last time I broke off a dipsy. I don't think I ever have. I just can't get my head around at the price right now. Looks like a very good product.

I use 20lb mono on my dipsy rods, so I'm not too concerned about losing those or a probe. I like the versatility of the Smart Troll because I run only 2 riggers on my boat (its only 74" wide), so I always run 1 dipsy down the middle or 2 out wide on the flanks, depending on conditions. My riggers are the old Canon 10A from the late 80's or early 90's, so I only run 10lb balls on them. They are a little slow but they work great, to include the auto-stop feature. I know blowback has a bigger affect on my spread with 10lb balls and it would be nice to know where my baits are running.

The feedback on this thread has been fantastic!

I've gotta say, I do like my hawk, but I also have a sub troll on my center rigger and have grown to like it a lot. Due to them closing, I bought a back up probe yesterday and I already have a spare spool of cable.

You guys are killing me, holy crap :lol: . Now I have some more shopping to do. I was really shocked to see that the Sub Troll closed its doors. That was the first system I considered. There are several good systems out there that will meet my needs. I'm not a charter captain, and never will be. I just take fishing very serious. I call my boat "Fishology" because fishing is a science and I am constantly striving to learn more.

All of your feedback is much appreciated!

I run the sub troll also and have never had any problems with it to make me wanna run out and change to something else. Do have a spare probe for it. Thinking maybe I should pick up a complete system now that everyone is clearing them out. Do like the smart troll system but not the price especially since there is no monitor with the system.

I run the sub troll also and have never had any problems with it to make me wanna run out and change to something else. Do have a spare probe for it. Thinking maybe I should pick up a complete system now that everyone is clearing them out. Do like the smart troll system but not the price especially since there is no monitor with the system.

Yea Dan that the reason and only reason I don't have a smart troll system. Big Yankee $$$ and no monitor, so you need a iPad or smartphone either way it's another $5 Ben Franklins, so for $650 you have true time tested unit, now that sub troll packed it in.

Yea Dan that the reason and only reason I don't have a smart troll system. Big Yankee $$$ and no monitor, so you need a iPad or smartphone either way it's another $5 Ben Franklins, so for $650 you have true time tested unit, now that sub troll packed it in.

Pap,

Just thought i would let you know the reason I don't make a dedicated "Smart Troll" display. The main reason is because I can't make a display that allows you to easily download any updates to the app and install any other app you want to use on it (such as fish finder display, GPS, navionics, etc) for $49 USD...such as the one at the link below. Smart Troll uses Bluetooth to transmit the depth/temp data so you do not need phone service at all. In fact, you could use an old android phone that has been disconnected from phone service and it will still work fine with Smart Troll.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Display-Wi-Fi-GB-Special/dp/B00TSUGXKE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453094815&sr=8-2&keywords=fire+bluetooth

In summary, you get to choose the size and cost of your display. One guy might want phone size so he can keep it in his pocket...the next guy might want TV size for his boats console....Smart Troll doesn't lock you in to a one size fits all display.  Plus, anytime I upgrade the app you can download the latest for free. That way you don't get stuck with an earlier version of the app just because you bought before the other guy.

No one has mentioned the Canon Speed & Temp. Are they that bad, or just not very popular? It seems to function a lot like the Depth Raider or Sub Troll. It doesn't give depth at the ball, but I keep my old Lowrance LMS339 because I can see the ball on that ff.

Just thought I'd toss the Canon unit into the discussion...

Edited by Todd in NY

No one has mentioned the Canon Speed & Temp. Are they that bad, or just not very popular? It seems to function a lot like the Depth Raider or Sub Troll. It doesn't give depth at the ball, but I keep my old Lowrance LMS339 because I can see the ball on that ff.

Just thought I'd toss the Canon unit into the discussion...

Yup there is a reason they haven't been mentioned..... JUNK! I'm pretty sure they stopped making that unit also.