Something different

bondouley

Well duck season is closed and no ice so i had decided to try my hand a raccoon calling in the daytime. Ive heard about it and seen videos on it but never trying it myself.

I started out on the side of a winter wheat field in a stand of big oak trees at 9 am. I turned the caller on and sat back to watch. It wasnt 5 mins into the stand and a big boar coon came down a oak 30 yrds to my left. He was actually growling when he hit the ground and headed to the speaker. I shot him at 15 yrds as he crossed the opening in front of me. I couldnt believe it but it actually worked. Who knew you could call coons in the daytime let alone have them growling on his way down the tree. I picked him up and went 300 yrds down the field to the next stand of oaks but nothing happening there. By this time the wind was pounding out of the south so i went to another spot the would be on the north side of the woodlot so hopefully it would be a little protected form the wind. I got in another stand of oaks turned the caller on and sat back. The caller had been on for 8 mins when i saw a coon come out of a giant dead tree and sit on a limb and look into my direction which was 30 yrds away from the speaker. I took the shot with him looking at me and he dropped dead. Having shoot 2 coons in 3 sets i was ecstatic and wanting more. I made another set up but got nothing going and by this time the wind was really bad so I took some pics and headed home to skin them out.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-152176-14530742416653_thumb.jpg

post-152176-14530742599177_thumb.jpg

post-152176-14530742798499_thumb.jpg

I had a relative (distant uncle) that hunted raccoons all through the 1970's in Illinois. He used dogs to corner them and a gun (unknown caliber) to kill them. I never hunted with him, and never got into raccoon hunting, but I always enjoyed other small game, large game and different types of upland bird hunting. Congrats on a successful hunt!

My buddy shot one out of a tree during deer season.... he eats them. I told him I wouldn't mind trying it knowing that it came from corn, and hickory country, and not dumpsters..... a few weeks later he told me he was roasting it with bbq sauce, so I made my way over. I'll tell yea, once you get past the thought of what it is it actually tastes good, and has alot of meat. I had a front shoulder over rice and 2 labatte blues. Perfect.

NICE WHAT DID U TAKE THEM WITH

22-250 cause its the only smaller caliber rifle that i have.  you have to be extremely careful that when you shoot a rifle like a 22-250 up into the tree that coon is sitting so that when the bullet goes through him it goes into the tree not flying through the sky 

I had a relative (distant uncle) that hunted raccoons all through the 1970's in Illinois. He used dogs to corner them and a gun (unknown caliber) to kill them. I never hunted with him, and never got into raccoon hunting, but I always enjoyed other small game, large game and different types of upland bird hunting. Congrats on a successful hunt!

my father use to run them with dogs also he use to use a 22 lr and shoot them between the eyes

My buddy shot one out of a tree during deer season.... he eats them. I told him I wouldn't mind trying it knowing that it came from corn, and hickory country, and not dumpsters..... a few weeks later he told me he was roasting it with bbq sauce, so I made my way over. I'll tell yea, once you get past the thought of what it is it actually tastes good, and has alot of meat. I had a front shoulder over rice and 2 labatte blues. Perfect.

my father use to love them he would bake them in the oven but i just cant bring myself to try one.  Maybe if someone else cleaned it and cooked it I would try it but i wouldnt cook it for myslef

WTG Dave. I used to run across them in the old days accidentally but never thought of using a call....time to get your gear ready for the ice though :lol:

Bird distress calls work well, and just because its daylight doesnt mean you wont get yotes, fox, or ANY other predator. Ive called in and killed more coyotes in daylight than in the dark.

yep I agree I've killed my share of dogs in the daytime but I was strictly after coons as I dont want to kill any fox or coyotes till the bark at the moon contest at the end of the month.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app