Planer reel question

rdebadts

Guys- for those of you with experience in electric planer reels: do you prefer the Cisco reels or big jon? I am going to replace my manual reels (at least one)- just curious what you all think!

I have experience with both systems. The Cisco are the stronger more durably built product and I'd recommend them for pulling the really hard-pulling boards like the Amish Outfitters, but the BJ will get the job done for many people with more modest needs. If price is a lesser concern for you, IMO the Cisco are worth the extra $.

I've owned both also. Big Jobs worked fine with the dbl keel otters when I had them and also with the hard pulling boards from Hank I run now. After maybe 3 seasons they died and I upgraded to Cisco.

Cisco pull the same boards fine but slower. I've used them 1 season now. So far, I consider it a cosmetic upgrade since I can't speak on their longevity yet. They are much nicer with the mounting adjustability though.

Price is getting pretty close between both now too.

Edited by Broadhorizons

I bought a set of Cisco electrics this year. I know a lot of people say the have more powerful motors - but I think honestly they are just geared lower which gives them more torque. Motors I think draw same current and voltage as the big Jon's. Regardless - they pull hard. Are a bit on the slow side but that's fine. They look great and if anything are overbuilt - so I have no worries with regard to longevity. Great reels.