DEC Deer Webinars tonight (1/20) and 1/27

DJ 17

The Cornell Cooperative extension is hosting these at three locations.

Cayuga County: Wells College Zabriskie Hall Rm 212

Seneca County: Waterloo, Seneca County Cornell Cooperative Extension Office. 308 Main St. Shop Center

Tompkins County: Trumansburg, Village of T-burg Office. 56 E. Main St.

I look at it like this, if you have an opportunity to go listen to what they would like to do, and voice your opinion, you should do it.  If you don't agree with what they are proposing and don't get involved at all, then how can you complain about their decision?  The more concerned hunters that show up the louder our voice will be.

As expected MOST in attendance were there  because they were concerned about LACK of deer numbers in our area.  Unfortunately, the presentation was focused on deer management and population reduction... There is supposed to be more info regarding upcoming regulation possibilities at the meeting next week.  Most of what they were saying through the webinar seemed to relate mainly, if not only to urban/suburban deer plans/ ideas.  Very lie regarding things such as abuse of nuisance permits, too many DMP's etc... Hopefully they will be addressed at next weeks meeting.  Show up if you can. Meetings will be in the same places.

As expected MOST in attendance were there because they were concerned about LACK of deer numbers in our area. Unfortunately, the presentation was focused on deer management and population reduction... There is supposed to be more info regarding upcoming regulation possibilities at the meeting next week. Most of what they were saying through the webinar seemed to relate mainly, if not only to urban/suburban deer plans/ ideas. Very lie regarding things such as abuse of nuisance permits, too many DMP's etc... Hopefully they will be addressed at next weeks meeting. Show up if you can. Meetings will be in the same places.

Thanks for the info! Population reduction what a joke. I just finished walking 300 acres in fresh snow four deer tracks does and fawn. Same and only four we had all season. But farmers in my area still think they are eating their crops. Maybe they can kill those four on a permits this summer and save a kernel of corn.

Edited by Hookedup

I was doing the online thing. I am hoping the 2nd part is more informative. One thing I found a little concerning when he made the statement "If this works out in this area we would like to open it up into more WMU's."  The IT part I am not sure what IT is.

The current system is too confusing. Since the insurance industry wants deer numbers curbed along with farmers, there will be pressure to keep numbers in check. I am not sure if coyotes are factored into their equation at the DEC, but my experience around Western NY and Southern Tier is Coyote populations are expanding. MAKE IT EASY......every big game license comes with a doe tag good for ANY location. For those units that need additional doe take ie. around suburbs then a hunter can apply to a specific unit for a second tag. I have noticed that the state land in Allegany County there is an extreme imbalanced buck to doe ratio. Reason being ... getting a doe permit is difficult for some reason in those units. We see tons of does down there......can't shoot them. Meat hunters who could be spending their opening day gutting and dragging out their doe, are staying in the woods longer and have to hold out for a buck. Too many bucks getting shot and at a young age.

Chas,

I think in that case he was referring to dividing the state into I believe 27 or so aggregates as opposed to around 90 WMU's.  Which as I understood it was merely to make their job of data collection easier, not to improve management plans on a more local basis.  I was the one who submitted the question after the presentation asking how this could possibly help to manage the population on a local level? In fact I think it would do exactly the opposite.

Gill,

I specifically asked about predator influence as well.  They stated that the predator take had NO influence on herd depletion, just herd expansion.  I can't remember the wording exactly but they had a slide that said that EACH YEAR deer numbers had to be reduced by 50% either by death or relocation or they will overwhelm the habitat in which they live.  All who attended are supposed to get the presentation and Q&A's emailed to them at some point, when I receive mine I will double check the info.