oneida lake walleye

fishyboy

I know its the middle of winter but looking for some advice on drifting worm harnesses for walleye on Oneida in spring and summer.  Been fishing the lake for 3 years and just jig for them but looking to try other methods like worm harnesses so any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Harnesses work fine, but you catch a ton of off target species and small fish. 0Trolling diving baits and spoons is very effective and there is a ton of posts from the past several summers on this topic. I think if you read thru the walleye section you will get lots of ideas in addition to plenty more questions.

Jigging is one of the best methods in that lake in the spring. But if your drifting and casting jigs drop a harness on the back side of the drift for some bonus eyes! It works. Goes for trolling blades that early in the year it can and has been done but that wouldn't be my number one way to takle that lake in the spring water is a touch too cold in the early spring to troll blades. Trolling stick baits early in spring can be killer or dead put the puzzle together as fast as you can and don't get lazy keep trying new thing!! Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm new to walleye and been doing some research but want to run some stuff by on here and see what feedback I get. I have all sorts of jigs to throw if I can figure out a size, but what about throwing and trolling lures like Rapala's?

Edited by zimm298

Trolling hard baits for walleye will work well. I use perch patterns in various sizes. As far as casting hardbaits goes this is usually a night technique as usually walleye are too deep to cast to effectively during daylight. Blade baits, jigs, and jigging raps are easier to penetrate the column with.

Diving baits are only at depth for a short portion of the cast as where sinking lures can cover more water when casted especially if you feed them slack. A lot of this depends on your boat, gear, budget, how much you plan on fishing, whether you fish solo, and what your goals are...

For example if i had kids with me id troll downsized perch

baits or troll worm harnesses to keep the action up and they wouldnt have to cast, detect bites, or set the hook.

Conversely I personally prefer less off target catches and better quality fish so I prefer trolling big deep divers and on the fast side. There is no right way only a right way for you...there are some good guides on oneida that can teach you techniques that will fit your needs.