Heavier Weights on Older Mag 10A's

mr 580

I've seen a number of posts regarding running over 10lb weights on older Cannon Mag 10's.  Here's what happened to me.  I ran Mag 10A's for 20+ years with 10lb's and in 2008 went with a Depth Raider with 13lb weight on the probe.  For first year or two no issues everything was fine.  I was working then so just fished weekends.  Late in the season in prime king time that rigger started to catch when it came up.  Then finally it failed in the middle of a trip where it wouldn't go up and free spooled down.  I finished trip by wedging a screwdriver in it to keep it in place.  I couldn't find any broken shafts or keyways when I took rigger apart.   The motor is a sealed unit with a right angle drive on the end.  I opened motor up and found problem in the right angle drive- three white plastic pucks in the housing had disintegrated.  Parts for those old Mag10A's are tough to find- I couldn't find a complete motor or any of the pucks so that rigger was finished.  My advice with the older 10A's-stay with a 10lb weight limit or be prepared to be looking for a rigger.  Since then I've updated to all high speed and 20lb weight capacity.  Sharing to save some headaches for guys running older stuff on a budget. 

Very good advice. I've had my 10A's for over 30 years without any problems but have always stayed with the recommended 10 lb max. weights....I still even have the original wire on them. As noted those motors weren't designed for the heavier weights., but several folks on here have suggested that it makes no difference.....only a matter of time till they find out :lol:  Thanks for the post.

Edited by Sk8man

I went 2#'s over, I'm hoping it doesn't create a dilemma, if it does, can't say nobody told me so!! I don't hammer on the lake but I do get up for a week at a clip a few times a year.