Line counter accuracy

So I know that a line counter is most accurate when the spool is full. Let me give you a hypothetical situation...

Situation: As I'm setting lines, a crew member decides to set a dipsy on the opposite side, shuts the clicker off, opens the bail, and the dipsy splashes down, the spool over rotates and bird nest! After a quick punch in the throat for shutting the clicker off (as was told to me by a faithful member here, if anyone ever shuts a clicker off), I get to work untangling, cutting, and reattaching terminal tackle. The rod is ready to fish again, but I lost a decent amount of line and the spool isn't full.

Question: Where is the error on the counter? I'm thinking if there is less line, the wraps are tighter and the counter will run faster and read more feet out than are actual line out. So I would want to set farther on the counter. Anybody agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Seems to me your thinking is spot on.  Be interesting to check.  Just measure out 50 or 100 ft on the dock or parking lot, or wherever and pull line off a full spool then a half full spool and compare 'em.  Don't be surprised if the counter isn't 100% accurate on either.  

Thanks chaschut, good advice for finding out how much it could be off. And I know that even when full they're close, not necessarily spot on, more for repetition. 

Let's just say that the crewman may or may not have been my brother... there was no swift jab to the throat... and I'll be seeing how far off that dipsy set up is before the season! Lol!

And that's a great trick G-Daddy! Thanks! I will totally try it. Do you think it'll work with wire?

Edited by greenboatluke

Easy way to calculate the line length would be to reel to the end of pole, reset your counter and pull line to the length of your pole a few times if you have an 8' pole you know that if you pull three times you should have 24' if its short by whatever length you can know that mathematically you can figure out how much more to let out. Simple?

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I wouldn't worry too much about it...I move stuff all around and only use the counters to replicate what's going on. A dipsey set identical in one side of the boat with a spoon and the other on the other side of the boat with a flasher fly will be at different depths with the same wire out assuming both spools full anyways. Pull of the flasher changes the dive angle on a dipsey slightly....so I wouldn't worry too much if you only pulled off 50 feet of wire or something ....if you pull off half the spool then it's definitely going to have a bigger effect .

My understanding is that the only accurate line counter reel was one with a digital line counter made by Penn that actually measured line rather than spool rotation. I know one muskie guide that buys up every one he sees. I'm considering buying no more line counters and buying a bulk spool of metered braid and putting my old Abu 7000's back in service.

Find what works and duplicate it. Losing 50 ft is nothing. I ran my wire rods the last 2 years with probably 700-800 ft of wire. The problem is when both your rods have big differences in the amount of line on the reel. Then they are going to read differently and will be hard to duplicate.

I'm with Angling Addict and BazookaJoe. Replication and being able to achieve similar results time after time is more important than the precise amount of line indicated on the line counter.

Thanks chaschut, good advice for finding out how much it could be off. And I know that even when full they're close, not necessarily spot on, more for repetition. 

Let's just say that the crewman may or may not have been my brother... there was no swift jab to the throat... and I'll be seeing how far off that dipsy set up is before the season! Lol!

And that's a great trick G-Daddy! Thanks! I will totally try it. Do you think it'll work with wire?

I've only ever used it with mono so I don't know.