.17 bolt rifle thoughts?

DJ 17

I am thinking of buying an entry level .17 just because.  Would be a cheaper model, not looking for anything high end at this point.  I am looking for everyones thoughts regarding which one they have had the best luck with.  Pro's/cons, etc...  Any info would be helpful. Thanks

I have a savage .17 that has a synthetic stock. It has a cheap scope and it is a woodchuck killing machine! It is extremely accurate out to 150-200 yds. The wind can affect the 17 grain bullet but that's if you are reaching out there. The shells are cheap and easy to get $15 per 50. I love the gun. If you are into lever action guns, Henry Rifles make a very nice .17.

If I was sent out to survive with just one gun i would probably pick my .17 with 1000 rounds.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nautitroller

I have a .17 cal in a savage heavy barrel, this gun is smoking the 17 grain ballistic tip over 3000ft per second, I have shot piles of groundhogs out to 200 yards and I also shot 3 coyotes with the 20 grain boat tails out to 100 yards after that I rely on a bigger gun. Mine is super accurate and a fun gun to shoot. Mine is the hmr version, they have come out with a center fire, but have no seen one yet or the shells. I look every time I'm at cabelas but they never have it. They claim it's a hot item and it's gone with in a day or two.

I have a savage .17 with the heavy barrel. I call it a .22 on steroids. It is a nice gun to shoot easy to find ammo and it will not break the bank. I don't use mine that unless I and out cracking squirrels. I rely on my 22-250 for fox and coyotes.

Which .17 are you considering. I had the .17 hmr and last fall I purchased the new 17 wsm. I am getting much better results with wsm in terms of accuracy and bullet drop over a hundred yard. Both guns are savage but the wsm is the heavy barrel. They both lethal on woodchuck. The flatter trajectory of the wsm has increased kill rate for 100+ yard shots. Rounds are priced the same if you find them on sales $15 for 50.

I'm looking at the HMR.  I have a couple 22's and a 22-250 heavy barrel thumbhole howa so I don't need the range. Just looking for something fun and cheap to shoot in the 100-150 yd range

Pap, Nauti, and JRS

What model number savage do you guys have?

Justin,

What is your bolt action?

Having only browsed through the internet so far and not having had any of them in my hands yet I like the looks of the savage as well as the Marlin XT-17 VR anyone have any experience with this Marlin?

Subscribed!

I am looking into 2 guns right now the .17hmr/.17wsm and .410 pump. I can't decide which I would rather have. Both would fill a certain niche but it is a tough decision. I have heard nothing but great things about the Marlin XT same for the Savage. The pump is looking like an remington 870. Ammo for both is a wash the .17 would be great for squirrel and chucks but I have a .22 that does great for both of those but that .410 would be a great rabbit, squirrel, chuck gun too.

Ahhhh! decisions decisions.

That's easy!  Those 2 combined are about the same or a little less than a middle of the road deer rifle so just get both!  When I was a kid chasing rabbits I would have loved to have an 870 in 410, if I still had a beagle I would have one.

I would like both but the wife is already hounding me about money after buying another pistol. I think the .410 has a little more weight because as a kid I can remember chasing bushytails with a single shot .410 of my grandpas and had a blast. I think I might be getting that .410 but that .17 is a really close 2nd. I thought about the semi .17 but afraid I would blow thru the ammo too quick but having that quick follow up shot would be nice.

I havent skinned one shot with a 17 wsm but the 17 rem does one of 2 things...if you dont hit solid bone it just pokes a hole thru or its a mess if you hit em anywhere solid. All depends on if the bullet expands and fragments or if it just passes thru. Pros and cons to both

This thread peaked my interest as i wanted a new small caliber gun for squirrels and chucks... Went to gander today just to look and by chance someone was there wanting to trade in a savage model 93 .17 bolt action rifle with a scope... So long story short, he didn't sell it there and I'm going to get it probably by the end of the week and ill post my thoughts then

If you use the 20 grain boat tail in the 17hmr you will acheive a much better pelt saver bullet, if you use the 17 grain ballistic tip like Justin mentioned it could be a mess, I only shoot the 20 grain pill when wanting to save he hide and the 17 grain ballistic tip when whistle pig hunting. I just got to see the WSM bullet last week at Cabela's, quite the impressive little pill. I wish I had bought that gun, but at the time there was no such critter.

I am checking prices through a local FFL as we speak.  I am seriously considering the Marlin XT-17VR.  I recently found the Savage 39R17 Classic.  That gun is not a bottom end rig by any means but if I can get it for a reasonable price I might have to upgrade.  Check it out, its a nice looking rig.

Here's the next question:  What do you guys have for glass on your guns?  I saw one guy has a VX III but that js too much money for me to spend on this outfit.  Some have told me the BSA Sweet 17 series are great and some say they are crap.  Opinions? Experience?  I have nothing but Leupolds and Nikons but I am open to suggestions base on performance.