Fishing a small pond near Corning N.Y.

Chas0218

My buddy and I made it out away from our wives for a few hours (7 total) to get the stink blown off. We were targeting crappie but ended up with 40 keeper perch (8" or larger). Ice was around 5" thick and I put probably 50 fish the ice using my flasher. How did I ever fish without it. I can attest that it will definitely put more fish the ice. The big perch was 12.25".

post-149865-14535977353147_thumb.jpg

post-149865-14535977524018_thumb.jpg

post-149865-14535977688276_thumb.jpg

post-149865-14535977939649_thumb.jpg

Nice bunch of fish.  I was on a small "lake" on Sunday and we could not keep the small pickerel off the minnows.  Got a few bass and a couple perch too.  I am still waiting for a day like you had.  I have yet to have a hot bit like that in all my days ice fishing, maybe it is time to switch up my approach?  I am usually fishing with my kids so it is more tipups and I move around a little jigging.

Excellent job Chase, that's some fine fishing there. I'm kind of like Floatfisher, I never had a great day on the ice. I even booked a trip to the Bay of Quinte and got skunked there all I caught was little perch like 2-3"ers. The temp was -35*F and 20-30mph winds the guy took us out on a snowmobile to the shanty where we stayed for hrs with only a 1burner propane heater, I was never so cold in my life, by day 3 no eyes I didn't go with the rest of the guys, thank god I didn't. On the way back to the motel they hit a snowstorm and got into a accident, the car was still drive able. We packed up and came home. I feel as if that outfitter took our money and ran. After a day why didn't we move or something. That was my last ice fishing trip.

Thanks Guys, we couldn't keep them off the line. I caught most mine on #2 Swedish pimple gen crush tipped with spikes. We only caught 2 pickerl which was a rare occurrence normally they beat the perch and crappie to the bait. I did manage a couple small bass. This was one of the first times I caught more jigging than on tipups.

• 2 weeks later...