Greater Niagara fishing and hunting expo

rolmops

Although just yesterday  it looked like I could not go at all,in the end some things were canceled and I had a few hours in the morning so I drove the eighty miles to Niagara Falls

The expo hall with all the commercial stands was very well represented and there was something for everybody to be seen or bought.

But I had come to see the Lotsa member tables in the other room and it was downright sad to see so few people. There were a few tables ,but not much was offered.

It was also sad to see the Lotsa signup table in the main (commercial) hall. It felt like Lotsa had abandoned its own members in favor of all the commercial interests.

This was my last visit to the Expo.

we just got back from our 5 hour drive from spending 3 days at the expo.i would like to thank lotsa for putting on a great weekend.there seemed to be alot more of the 1 hour seminars then last year,which we took in a few on friday.the lotsa salmon  school on saturday was very informative.the instructors did a great job with staying on topic and not letting the questions from the crowd stray off topic.i would have to agree with rolmops that the lotsa swap show today was half of what it was last year.all in all it was a great weekend,met some more lou members and got to talk fishing in the middle of winter,as long as the weather cooperates like the last 2 years,we will be back next year.

I just got back from my 5 hour drive also. I didn't attend the swap meet but I can tell you that the salmon school was top notch. LOTSA does a great job picking speakers and I took more notes than when I was back in school. Great way to break the winter doldrums. Got to see a few friends and meet a few new ones. I'll be back next year.

My first time to this event, as I want to get into lake fishing more.  Thought the show was great, the speakers I listened to were outstanding.  I plan to be back.  Wish I had signed up for the Salmon school.  Thanks to LOTSA for putting this on.

I like rolmops we felt that the swap show in the other venue room than the Expo sure lacked the completeness of last years event which was disappointing  and hopefully this can be worked on for next year but I heard nothing but positive comments about the remaining events at the show. Hats off to the event organizers who overall put a great two day series of events together. They deserve our thanks and a lot of credit.

though my drive was only a couple hours i was also dissapointed in the marketplace compared to last year.  the main show was good my brother ended up sharing fishing pics with dave genz for half an hour. Hopefully its not a trend and the market place just swings up and down from year to year.

As the show has grown in popularity, many of the vendors who previously payed for booth space for the one day marketplace have elected to purchase space on the main floor for three days.

The marketplace was basically a venue for tackle shops to offer clearance items and pricing or for captains or private persons to sell their used gear. I know I pretty much sold out of my used gear the first year I attended. The second year, I paid for a booth to support the club, but I had so little left to sell I didn't break even.

Last year, I donated a custom rod for the club to raffle off. My cost was far more than the table price and again no sales. This year, I decided I wanted to go to some of the classes so I didn't make a donation for a table.

I'd like to personally suggest that each and every person who complained above about the marketplace do something to make next year's event better. You should put your money where your mouth is and go through your stuff, buy a table, and sit there all day to make the show better for everyone else.

My commentary in no way represents the opinion of LOTSA, the directors and officers, or any member. My words here are my own opinion.

Edited by John E Powell

John,your point is well taken, and it has a lot of merit.

However, if you know that that you have nothing to sell,it makes no sense to reserve a table.

I have come to the Lotsa swap meet for the past 5 years with the purpose of buying about $200 in goods during the visit.

That to me seems just as valuable because that money is spent in an effort to support those people who reserve the tables.

I do think it's unrealistic for people to complain that other people didn't bring their used gear to sell.

There were many of the same vendors with the same cut price deals, they were just in the main show this year for all three days. Would you rather pay an entry fee and have bath fitter on the main floor?

I think this is just the natural evolution of the show. Would it have been nice to have twice as many people occupying tables, sure. But people have to step up for that to happen. LOTSA can't compel people to sit at a table and sell their used gear.

Edited by John E Powell

A bunch of us Canadians came over today, as we traditionally have since 2008 and we all always will.Its as much of a social gathering as it is about stocking up and getting some deals on gear. I'll admitt some of us spent considerably less since the currency exchange rate is terrible now on our end.

It is great to see the Fishing Expo growing... a Great Lakes themed show is needed for this region. Perhaps it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a few more companies/exhibitors from the Lake Erie walleye/bass scene to get on with this show too to help boost attendance & participation.

Tip of the hat to the LOTSA team for all they continue to do.

For those interested another show is starting up in St Catharines next month:

http://www.greatlakestrollingseminar.com/

John makes some very good points and I guess I feel a lot less "disgruntled" as I have a lot of respect for his opinion and upon reflection I may not have either realized the nature of the swap part of the venue  or perhaps didn't put a lot of thought into my earlier comment. Events like this are very involved to put together properly and LOTSA does a great job of it and it is perhaps more important as time goes on that we have events like this.  In case  folks may not have noticed there was a fishing pond for kids and more kids need to be encouraged to attend and become involved in our sport. There was a noticeable absence of teenagers as might be expected these days.  As we were driving home we were talking about the fact that many if not most of the attendees were middle aged (I'm giving myself a break here :lol: ) and the younger folks that should have been there were probably talking on their cell phones, watching TV or playing video games (or worse) someplace and that is truly a shame. Growing up as a kid fishing became a major part of my life and offset my teen years while also hanging out in the poolroom or getting into major trouble as some of my age-mates did. The long and short of it is that if we don't do something to encourage youth to get directly involved in fishing and hunting these sports will largely go by the wayside. My major mistake this year was not learning in advance about specifics relating to the events on Saturday and even worse I never looked at the program (just stuffed it in my pocket in the entry excitement) until I got home. We missed a lot of wonderful and truly interesting and educational opportunities as well as possibly connecting with fellow LOU members and I regret that now.  I am wondering if it is possible to post a detailed pdf of the show beforehand here on LOU (if it wasn't or I missed it). My assumption going there was that "Yeah... they are having a few salmon seminars but I've been doing this awhile too etc."  and it is obvious from the program this was an idiotic assumption on my part....

For those of you out there that have never been to it I picked up some great bargains in tackle (which my wife even liked :lol: ) and I would encourage you to attend taking into consideration my above comments. It is well worth the journey there at the very least (about 90 miles for us).

Edited by Sk8man

Well after spending three long exhausting days in Niagara Falls working my own booth along with the Blood Run Tackle booth, I would say this past weekend was the best show yet. I have been part of the show since its debut and the Niagara Expo/LOTSA event is building momentum.  It truly is the best show we have here on Lake Ontario. Its great to put names and faces together and a great chance to meet some "friends" from LOU. How anyone misses this show is beyond me? Next year you should all plan on being there!!! The amount of retail was insane this year. Im sure most of you that passed through the doors, left with very little money in your pockets. I know that i came home with a bunch of new stuff myself. I think the show great opportunity for guys to talk directly with the company owners along with prostaff to answers questions, one on one. I think we will continue to see more and more companies looking to represent as time goes on and as for the main show, thats were the growth will continue. Theres plenty to keep you busy. The show has 3 full days of scheduled seminars with a little bit of everything from electronics to deer hunting to deep water trolling. Guys who attended the saturday LOTSA school couldnt say enough good about it. By the sounds of the 155+ person audience it sound like Pete, Pete, and George did a great job. Yes, I said 155 students. Thats an impressive number! And yes the LOTSA marketplace on sunday wasnt overwelming. but... it once again has room for growth. It simply started as a Lake O flea market with an annual event and has exploded into what it what you saw this this past weekend. (a 3 day event with thousands of visitors). The marketplace has an chance to go back to its roots and once again become a flea market for guys to sell their used gear.

Good times, great show. See you guys next year!

Just throwing this out there.  Has Rochester ever been considered as a place to host this show? It would seem that a more central location (as far as Lake O is concerned) might bring in more participants as well as attendees?  I have 2 young kids who love to fish but in my personal situation it would be a lot to ask of them to ride in the car for 2-3 hours each way.  I am in no way trying to complain, I have been to the show in Lockport, just a thought to help the show grow and expand to include more people.  I know there is an ELOSTA show but they are very different entities in my opinion.  Just a thought.

Just throwing this out there.  Has Rochester ever been considered as a place to host this show? It would seem that a more central location (as far as Lake O is concerned) might bring in more participants as well as attendees?  I have 2 young kids who love to fish but in my personal situation it would be a lot to ask of them to ride in the car for 2-3 hours each way.  I am in no way trying to complain, I have been to the show in Lockport, just a thought to help the show grow and expand to include more people.  I know there is an ELOSTA show but they are very different entities in my opinion.  Just a thought.

Its not just the Lake Ontario guys...This show draws a lot of Lake Erie guys, and dont forget the Canadians too. In my opinion, its location is in the center now to draw the most people.

You pay the money and you take your chance.    I have had a table at all of the LOTSA events.  LOTSA can't control who has equipment for sale and wants to buy a table.  Some of the regulars moved to the main room, some of the regulars who had tables in the past have retired from being captains and some chose not to come.  The main room was full and this is a show that is geared to fishing.   Was I disappointed this year?  Yes I was but again, can't control vendors or customers.  And I have been involved in setting up similar events in the past for clubs I belong to.  Look forward to next year and will evaluate things then.

This event was heavily advertised on Buffalo radio and part of those ads mentioned the LOTSA marketplace. 

Mark     

Edited by MCF

Good show!!! Got some good stuff and some deals...can't wait to try out the bay rats...I was fortunate enough to preorder some BT candies...they said they sold over 250 of them...only bad part was not enough youngsters there...its sad what the worlds coming to...parents and there electronics...its not the kids fault the parents taught them...if ya get the chance take a kid fishing...doesn't have to be your kid...I have a friend who's 5 year old daughter is my best ice fishing partner... She caught a 5 to 6 lb laker on Keuka last year ...was my favorite fish ever... Priceless

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i think as the main show grows lotsa should consider moving the marketplace to a different weekend i know they used to do it that way.  there is a different feel to the marketplace and when I go to something like that i have a different set of goals of what I am looking for than at the main show.  the main show had a ton of retail and was a good place to see first hand a lot of tackle that just isnt carried in the stores that I can regularly get to.  That has its appeal and will likely keep me going to shows like that on occasion.  That said the main show is retail there was some used and overstock but for the vendors on the main floor they are going to make far more on the full retail prices.  I enjoy the flea market feel running through a box of lures to pick the ones that my my styles has a huge appeal for me and thats what i loved about the market place last year.  I dont think its unfair at all to make a comment or complaint about such a thing.  If negitive feedback is never recieved than how would anything ever improve?  in buisness the worst thing that can happen is someone has a bad experience and says nothing to you than there is no way to make it better.  Negitive feed back is an opportunity to improve.  Positive feedback just reinforces what you are doing right.  I am sure it is no easy thing to put on the show but LOTSA doesnt put on the whole show.  They use the proceeds to help fund the pen rearing so finding ways to gain more proceeds is a good thing.  seems like there were a lot more seminars this year thats  a great way to promote the fishery perhaps that is a better use of resources for this particular show and it might be benificial to do a marketplace type event in the rochester area.  maybe the geenese charterboat assosiation would be interested in getting involved get a different set interested parties and catch more people from the east end.  would also help to break up the winter more.  Just thoughts.  

I'm one of the Lake Erie guys that used to be in the LOTSA room, and now are on the main floor.

I too noticed the decreased number of tables in the flea market...but really, how do you control

that???

I've known Joe Yeager since the mid 80's, and feel that he and the other LOTSA guys do a great

job for your fishery. All you can do is promote the show...which they did and let the chips fall where

they may. We used to have a similar group here on Lake Erie..and ran a fishing show for years...but

the mom and pops went away and it was harder and harder to get vendors. I know first hand how hard

it can be.

In regards to the seminars...it was posted on the Expo site for roughly 2 weeks prior to the show, so

you may want to check that out next year.

We moved to the main floor last year, probably like others, because we opted to use the extra days to

promote our business. We had a great time in the smaller one day venue in Lockport...but things

change, and you roll with it.

Much like Legacy...we got to meet lots of great people and talked a lot of fishing....including some

with Legacy. I think I'm finally understanding copper, maybe, LOL.

Personally, I'm was a bit disappointed with the crowd, especially given the nicer winter weather. It just never

seemed to be really "full". I'd be curious what the gate count was compared to last year. Not sure why, and heard

several plausible reasons. But we did have a really nice turnout for our seminar, so no complaints there.

In talking with guys like Mark Romanek and Jim Hanley, we discussed the fact that we may very well have the best

freshwater fishing opportunities in the country. Put a pin on a map of Buffalo, and draw a 100 mile circle

around it. Two Great Lakes, Finger Lakes, Chautauqua, countless smaller lakes and trib. Bass, walleye, muskie,

salmon, trout, etc, etc,.....pretty much nothing to complain about in that regard.

Everyone has to evaluate what they got or didn't get out of the show....and decide if it is worth it for you

to attend. I thought it was a pretty nice way to spend a January weekend.

Edited by times two

I'm glad to hear that the show was a success!!! I really wanted to go mostly for the venders and with the big storm they predicted I just couldn't leave mom home with the kids, will give it a go next year. It's a 10hr ride for me, and maybe the storm had something to do with the vendors sale. I'm just making a suggestion. I certainly hope next year will be a go. I really wanted to go to this as the Harrisburg sport show is a joke after that buisness with the AR. rifles. Hats off to anyone that had the slightest bit to do, along with the king pins of this whole show. PAP.

In talking with guys like Mark Romanek and Jim Hanley, we discussed the fact that we may very well have the best

freshwater fishing opportunities in the country. Put a pin on a map of Buffalo, and draw a 100 mile circle

around it. Two Great Lakes, Finger Lakes, Chautauqua, countless smaller lakes and trib. Bass, walleye, muskie,

salmon, trout, etc, etc,.....pretty much nothing to complain about in that regard.

What a true statement! I've never thought about it this way, but so true!

I thought the show was great, only downfall was not bringing enough money. I like the fact that the vendors carried gear for the fishing we do as to me it seems like Cabelas, Bass pro, etc carries mostly bass and clothes and I can never find exactly what I am looking for. I didn't make it to any seminars or the flea market but did in the past at Lockport (which was great).

The only problem to being so close to such great fishing is too many choices and not enough time. For me unless I specialize in one area I don't do well catching.

I have attended the LOTSA Salmon School and Flea Market for the last four years, as well as, the Niagra show since it began. This year's school

was outstanding, (I'd say the best that I've attended, and they all have been great).  The Niagra Show is still growing and gets better each year. This

year the exhibition floor was terrific (excellent quality and variety of vendors).  I also had the opportunity to sit in on two of the hour long seminars,

(Capt. Russ Gahagan on Tournament Tactics and Capt. Rick Hajecki on Fishing Electronics), both were informative and enjoyable.  The Flea Market

was off this year, but, I'm sure that it will rebound in 2017.  Hat's Off to the LOTSA volunteers who work to make this awesome event all that it is.