AUGER ISSUE!

Dylan585

So I have a jiffy that I use and it works wonderfully... Until the last half inch or so of ice... It gets to the bottom of the ice and then jams and I have to bring it up and down many times... I keep the hole clear of chips while drilling

A couple things: the blades may "feel" sharp and yet they may be slightly off on the cutting edge itself and might not be apparent to the naked eye (always need to keep covered when not in use to keep truly sharp), and you may need to tighten the blade screws as they may be just ever so loose and "sliding" when they get to that point.....just something to check. I think fish307.com offers a sharpening service if you can't find one locally who knows what they are doing (important :) ).

Edited by Sk8man

A couple things: the blades may "feel" sharp and yet they may be slightly off on the cutting edge itself and might not be apparent to the naked eye (always need to keep covered when not in use to keep truly sharp), and you may need to tighten the blade screws as they may be just ever so loose and "sliding" when they get to that point.....just something to check. I think fish307.com offers a sharpening service if you can't find one locally who knows what they are doing (important :) ).

That is good idea... Ill check that and try again... Ive heard of fish307... They'll be getting my blades next week I'm thinking... Thanks for the help

At the beginning of the season i swapped my Jiffy model 30 10" auger blade (single chipper blade) for an 8" stealth blade at a local jiffy dealer. My thermal tip ups wont cover a 10" hole. The stealth blade has 3 cutting blades, for those not familiar with it. 2 very small blades close to center of drill and 1 large chipper blade in the usual location. When i got the blades I took them off, sharpened the hell out of them, and figured they would drill holes by themselves!!!! WRONG!!! It is so hard to drill a hole with this auger something must b wrong. It takes 2 guys leaning on it to get thru 6-7". Had a strike master before. Never it smoked holes. Any thoughts? Replacement blades for the stupid thing are like 75-85 bucks. Your insights are appreciated. PS engine runs like a champ.

My hunch is that you cooked the blades when you tried to sharpen them. Although they often look  simple to do.... it should be left to the folks with the right machinery to do it right. You may want to check with someplace like http://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/ (Lake George, NY) and have them either re-sharpen them or swap them for some or new ones. Once they are messed up you can't correct by hand. They need to have an exact angle of the bevel.

Edited by Sk8man

• 4 months later...

My hunch is that you cooked the blades when you tried to sharpen them. Although they often look  simple to do.... it should be left to the folks with the right machinery to do it right. You may want to check with someplace like http://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/ (Lake George, NY) and have them either re-sharpen them or swap them for some or new ones. Once they are messed up you can't correct by hand. They need to have an exact angle of the bevel.

Really not that expensive to just swap them out for new ones.  Another Faux pas I see guys do all the time with their power augers is stand there and push on them with all their might while drilling their holes.  This is counter-effective and actually causes the blades and auger to flex, bend, bind against the ice, and not cut properly.  All you have to do is get that thing started, and just hold it perfectly vertical, and let that drill do it's work, man.  Good luck next winter.

Edited by John Kelley

• 5 months later...

At the beginning of the season i swapped my Jiffy model 30 10" auger blade (single chipper blade) for an 8" stealth blade at a local jiffy dealer. My thermal tip ups wont cover a 10" hole. The stealth blade has 3 cutting blades, for those not familiar with it. 2 very small blades close to center of drill and 1 large chipper blade in the usual location. When i got the blades I took them off, sharpened the hell out of them, and figured they would drill holes by themselves!!!! WRONG!!! It is so hard to drill a hole with this auger something must b wrong. It takes 2 guys leaning on it to get thru 6-7". Had a strike master before. Never it smoked holes. Any thoughts? Replacement blades for the stupid thing are like 75-85 bucks. Your insights are appreciated. PS engine runs like a champ.

That's exactly what happened when I tried to sharpen mine. The cutting angle on an auger blade isn't the same as a typical blade. Send them in to trade or get proper edge put on

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I expect there are years when you guys need an extension on your augers.  

I have an older American made Jiffy. No its not for sale.  I will run it till one of us dies.  Odds makers probably favor the auger...

When the ice gets thick, I kick snow off the area I want to drill.  I need to get close to bare ice. As I drill, I circle the hole, kicking the ice chips away.  I do not lean on the auger until I am almost through.  The center is through and water is coming into the hole.  It is harder for the auger to turn in the slush.  Bust the auger through, keep it turning, lift the auger.  There will be very little ice chips left in the hole.  

I think sharpening the blade on a Jiffy is about fool proof as it gets, provided you use a fine file or stone.  No power grinder.  Keep your tool flat on the blade, do not change the angle.

Thanks Esox. The one thing I should add regarding the  drill/auger approach is something that I have mentioned in previous posts is that the majority of the fishing I do is a foot through15 inches max. of ice or less. Up north I know the ice can get much thicker than that so the results would differ greatly with the much thicker ice (e.g. 2 or 3 ft or more etc). That is where the power auger approach excels.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks sk8man. Duly noted. A couple years ago the ice was 25" on the SLR and 30" + on chaumont bay. That was quite a year! Lot of work drilling even with a power auger. Definitely going to keep the jiffy for the thick ice. Looking forward to the weight reduction when ice conditions permit the use of the drill however!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks sk8man. Duly noted. A couple years ago the ice was 25" on the SLR and 30" + on chaumont bay. That was quite a year! Lot of work drilling even with a power auger. Definitely going to keep the jiffy for the thick ice. Looking forward to the weight reduction when ice conditions permit the use of the drill however!

Sk8 used my cordless drill with conversion on friday. Awesome setup! Cannot get over the power of the 18v miketa hammer drill. The torque is really unbelievable. Ripped 40-50 7" holes thru 4" ice with lots of battery to spare. Temps were fairly low as well. Very pleased so far!

Edited by EsoxAC3

Great... glad to hear it. Just don't set the battery out on the ice at all as it sucks the power out of it even if not for long I always keep a spare warming up in my pocket just in case but haven't needed it thus far. I feel that it is the best option when the ice isn't super thick especially early season. I have yet to get out but real soon.... :) P.S. I hear ya on the torque.. mine almost pulls me into the hole sometimes :lol:

Edited by Sk8man