Solunar Tables

One of the presenters at this year's Salmon School said that he has some confidence in Solunar Tables when deciding to fish. To be honest, the few dozen times I've checked Solunar Tables while fishing, I've seen very little correlation between the table's predictions and actual fish activity. The exception would be when the tables predict activity during the typical early morning and evening bites. What are your thoughts on the predictive power of these tables??? I have always put these in the same category as Astrology.

Edited by Big Water

last year I made it a point to go fishing on a four star "best ++" rated day at a place I normally do quite well at.

I got skunked.

the next time I went there I did ok. I checked the tables the day after and it was a one star "normal" rating.

my brother used to be a river fishing guide in Oregon and he tells my he swears by them and won't even head out if it's not at least two stars on the table.

so, I dunno. I have to fish when I can and can't really pick my days so I don't look at them. afraid i'll psyche myself out or something.

I have always (probably wrongly) thought that these tables somehow indirectly tied to the moons effect on water such as tides.  Since freshwater is not affected nearly  as much by tides as saltwater I have put little stock in to the Solunar tables.  I believe in the full moon affect because of light at night just not the small amount of water difference in tides on freshwater lakes even Lake O  Maybe this explains the guy in Oregon has a greater belief in the table..  But I two heard the comment about the tables at the LOTSA seminar and was wondering others opinions on it.  I am always trying to keep an open mind when other who are respected in the fishery mentions stuff, but I have to admit it's still sometime hard to budge my opinion and this is a case of that I think.

Full moons and new moons are times i fish harder as i know that there is definitely something to it based on 5 yrs of angler diaries, but if mother nature doesnt cooperate with favorable winds and fronts none of it matters...and when it comes to tidal water the tides are everything and full/new moons produce much higher and lower tides creating excellent shore fishing opportunities.

I wish that I would take the solunar advice. Many is the time that we started fishing at 4 or 5 in the morning and we did not get the first fish until eleven in the morning. If only we would have checked the calender,we could have slept in until 10 in the morning.