Bradley Smokers Original Smoker (33.5 x 17.5 x 20.25-Inch)

ERABBIT

Looking at getting a new and better than I have now smoker. The Bradley sounds like what I may want but I have been using my own wood for years now. It looks like with this I will have to buy it but if it's worth that extra cost I'll go for it...... have just been doing fish and whole chicken in the old smoker because I had no way to control temp....... I make my own deer kielbasa and sausage and have a few other recipes I would like to try with this unit because of the good temp. control...................

So anyone have one.... good , bad...... or another brand that is better ....

Thanks 

Depends on what you are willing to spend.  Under $600 there are three very strong choices I would recommend.  The grandfather is the Weber Smokey Mountain, they are highly efficient on fuel and easily hold temperature.  They last a long time as they are metal inside of porcelain and don't rust out.  If you want they have temp controllers like Aubers, Stokers, and DigiQ (Party Q) which are reasonable and all make ones that fit Weber as it is so popular.  If you like a little DIY you can get a 55 Gallon drum and make one yourself called a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker), they have instructions or built ones all over the web.  They do a great job and you see many people using them.  The last is a newer one called Pit Barrel Cooker, they are similar to the UDS but they are prebuilt and sway you to hang your meat instead put it on rack.  

Be careful of offset BBQ at sub $700 price range as the metal used is thin  and do not do a good job of holding the heat of the pit and thus tends to need a lot of babysitting to keep temperature control.  

A great website for BBQ and smoker reviews is amazingribs.com

I have a small countertop Bradley, and I love it.  Nothing like having the machine do the work for you with the pucks. Set the amount of time to smoke or the time and temp  to cook, or do both at the same time. I mostly cold smoke and it works great.

Thanks for all the info guys , still have not pulled the rigger.

pvelyk what a ton of info on that site . thanks

That guy has a very detailed site that he has built up over years.   He has gone so far as to retain some scientists to do clinical research on some of the things that go on when you BBQ such as the stall and the smoke ring.  A lot of great info and one of the first places I go to do research before I buy any BBQ supplies or gadgets.  Good luck on your decision.

I am on my second masterbuilt and love it.  Essentially the same thing as the Bradley but you are not stuck having to buy their pucks.  You can use what ever kind of wood chips you like.  In fact I just made a pile of chicken wings yesterday! Dinosaur BBQ creole seasoning, smoke them for 2 hours, coat them in sauce and place them on the grill to set the glaze and a few char marks.  They great!

• 2 weeks later...