Wire vs braid

Is the any advantage of braid over wire? I have 2 wire rods and love them. Im thinking of getting 2 braid rods set up and run slide divers on them. Any suggestions Thanks

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You can run slide divers off mono, braid, or wire. Mono goes widest spread and shallowest, wire has narrowest spread and goes deepest, and braid is in between the two. Mono is more difficult to trip with long distances, but it's stretchiness helps to keep from pulling hooks from soft mouth trout. It can be challenging to clean summer fleas from braid, wire is comparatively easier. They all have their used, it depends on how you want to use them in your spread throughout the season.

IMO... braid is for slide divers and wire is for divers. I tend to only fish slide divers in shallow water situations for example spring browns on the beach, or offshore steelhead, or staging matures in the fall. With slide divers, the small diameter of wire is a lot tougher to deal with and its tougher on the hands too. Wire is not very forgiving either. I have actually started running 65# Blood Run braid and the increased line diameter is easier to deal handle and puts up with a ton of abuse. The downside to braid is fleas. Fleas looooooove braid. But the times when I do use them fleas are not an issue.

I use braid for both. The larger diameter braid isn't AS effected by the fleas it still collects some but not enough for me to worry about. Eventually I will replace the braid with wire but when I first started out the braid was cheaper and more user friendly.

Edited by Chas0218

From what I have read and what I've seen on YouTube a lot of people run wire with 50 foot of braids so they can attach the board to that.

although it has been done and is done, im thinking you are seeing copper not ss wire with boards

I run slide divers on both braid and wire by putting a leader of 30lb mono for the SD to slide on. SD grips the mono good and is easy to change out when it wears. Makes it easier to break down 10 foot wire dipsey rods by having mono at the end vs the wire. When fleas are bad I just use wire.