pa ice fishing

Yeah...those two have a pretty good ice program dialed in.  He got a 53 last ice season and this 51 a couple days ago.  Both fish from the same spot most likely.  There's obviously something about their ice program because that seems to be the only time they get anything big and when they catch most of their fish.  They both have been advertising their catches pretty heavily online through Facebook the last couple years.  They were even on the local news a few times regarding the 53 from last year.

Otherwise, PA musky fishing pretty much sucks.  That's why I don't even bother to buy a PA license most years anymore, even though I'm a resident.  These two obviously have a goldmine of an ice spot and they maybe haven't been very diligent about keeping the location secret with all the advertising of fish they are doing.

Not sure about photographing fish out of season, undersized fish, or endangered fish. Probably technically not supposed to do any of it, but regulations are usually vague around that stuff and not enforced the same by all conservation officers from what I've heard. I know the length of time it takes me to measure and photo a fish before release isn't hurting them any. Then again, i usually don't photograph anything under 45"s.

No closed season in PA for muskies though. Essentially no natural reproduction in the state so really no need to close the season.

They are on some nice heavy fish through the ice though. Those are a couple great muskies, especially for PA. It has to be fun hand lining one of those through a hole in the ice. Kudos to them. Seems like they put their time in.

• 2 weeks later...