Nice Milwaukee Harbor Brown.

John Kelley

My friend Josef and I made the long drive to Milwaukee last weekend, to ice fish for the big Browns and Steelhead there.  The bite was not very good, and I only managed 2 fish for 3 hits, all weekend long.  Luckily, my 3rd hit was a good one.  An all spawned out Hen Brown trout that went 13.5 pounds.  Here she is.  Thanks.

post-150571-0-82769500-1453830437_thumb.jpg

WTG John. Good thing it was spawned out or it might not have made it through the hole :lol:  From the looks of that pic you sure needed the Big Buddy heater :)

Looks like you were just out from the main McKinley boat launch in that picture.  There are some better spots in the harbor if the ice is thick enough.  

Yeah, we were just out from it and hang a hard right.  Right across from the first aerators, and straight out from the Yacht Club, I think.  Was my first  trip out there, so I was just guessing on where to setup.  There were lots of locals fishing around us.  Nobody was doing very well. :)

WTG John. Good thing it was spawned out or it might not have made it through the hole :lol:  From the looks of that pic you sure needed the Big Buddy heater :)

Haha Les, I didn't even have my shack setup at that time.  I was just using the sled part for the chairs. It was pretty warm, around 28 degrees, I think.

Yeah, we were just out from it and hang a hard right.  Right across from the first aerators, and straight out from the Yacht Club, I think.  Was my first  trip out there, so I was just guessing on where to setup.  There were lots of locals fishing around us.  Nobody was doing very well. :)

Yeah the fishing pressure has increased in the last few years has dramatically increased.  A local guide started an ice fishing school on how to fish the harbor and now there are bunch of people down there every weekend now.  There are some good spots besides out from the yacht club.  Most of them are on the south end aka Veterans Park.  Always have to be careful though with currents and aerators.  I saw 2 guys and a dog go through the ice 150ft away from an aerator when the rest of the ice in the harbor was over 12 inches thick. 

If you ever go again, just send me a PM and I can show you some spots and techniques and if I have the free time I'll host. 

Yeah the fishing pressure has increased in the last few years has dramatically increased.  A local guide started an ice fishing school on how to fish the harbor and now there are bunch of people down there every weekend now.  There are some good spots besides out from the yacht club.  Most of them are on the south end aka Veterans Park.  Always have to be careful though with currents and aerators.  I saw 2 guys and a dog go through the ice 150ft away from an aerator when the rest of the ice in the harbor was over 12 inches thick. 

If you ever go again, just send me a PM and I can show you some spots and techniques and if I have the free time I'll host. 

That would be awesome, thanks!!  We couldn't find any emerald shiners anywhere, either, and were forced to buy small golden shiners instead.  I don't know if that was a factor or not.  The smaller fish had gobies and emeralds in its stomach.  I will say the lack of snow on top of the ice really makes for some easy walking and pulling of the shack.  After hiking for miles through snow drifted ice out in South Dakota already this winter, this was a treat!!

Edited by John Kelley

That would be awesome, thanks!!  We couldn't find any emerald shiners anywhere, either, and were forced to buy small golden shiners instead.  I don't know if that was a factor or not.  The smaller fish had gobies and emeralds in its stomach.  I will say the lack of snow on top of the ice really makes for some easy walking and pulling of the shack.  After hiking for miles through snow drifted ice out in South Dakota already this winter, this was a treat!!

Yeah we just had 2 shops close down in the last year.  The only place left in the area is Minnesota Leaches in Bayview.  Usually minnows are my second choice for harbor fishing.  Brown trout spawn tied up in pink sacks is usually what I use.