We used 1/2 inch hdpe. I got a 60x24 sheet and cut it to my specifications. It cost like 70 bucks, though you could go a tad thinner If you wanted. It's nice to make your own, cause I was able to make it longer and wider than normal, big enough for a salmon. I think out final dimensions were like 18x44 with 4 inch side walls

post-143448-14538490714689_thumb.jpgpost-143448-14538491132448_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdebadts

I have a couple pieces of leftover nylon sheeting that are about 1/2" thick. I cut one to the dimensions of my tailgate, it works great when you are away from home on a fishing trip.  I also drilled 2 holes in approximately the vertical center (maybe a little bit closer to your side) about a foot in from each side of the board, then put a bolt up through from the bottom of the board.  When you are filleting a fish you push the eye down over the bolt and it holds the fish in place very well and frees up your non-knife hand to manipulate the filet as necessary.  Remember to countersink the hole on the underside of the board to account for the head of the bolts, this will insure that the board stays flat on your tailgate/table or whatever you are using to support the board. If I didn't explain it well feel free shoot me questions if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

If you order from US plastics the shipping kills you. I went to Corbell plastics in Rochester/chili on Paul rd. ordered 2 pieces... one for tailgate and one for my deer processing station. call first as they cut to your specs. awesome stuff.. ask for scraps you might get lucky and get a bonus board!