Okuma solterra

For that type of money I'd be considering the Tekota 800 LC. they seem like a better made reel and I think the gear ratio, line retrieval etc. are similar

You're right John. I was thinking along the lines of the Tekota 800 reel being nearly 20 oz. lighter, and should still be able to get 500 ft of 32 lb copper on with 300 yds of 30 lb braid, great drag and very smooth with roughly similar gear ratio and retrieval rate. I haven't used either reel and the only Solterras I've ever seen were in salt water applications. I've handled the Tekota in the store and it seemed like a very smooth system and very capable for Great Lakes use. Just thought it seemed a worthy contender to mention at least for consideration.

Edited by Sk8man

You're right John. I was thinking along the lines of the Tekota 800 reel being nearly 20 oz. lighter, and should still be able to get 500 ft of 30 lb copper on with 300 yds of 30 lb braid, great drag and very smooth with roughly similar gear ratio and retrieval rate. I haven't used either reel and the only Solterras I've ever seen were in salt water applications. I've handled the Tekota in the store and it seemed like a very smooth system and very capable for Great Lakes use. Just thought it seemed a worthy contender to mention at least for consideration

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes: Just wanted to point that line capacity thing out, especially on 500 and longer coppers, where it really makes a big difference. I concur with your other points! :)  :)

The solterra is a great option for 45# copper with lengths 500 or longer. If the choice is 32# copper then the best option is an okuma clarion 553.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Last year I purchased a Solterra 50L with 600' of Morgan's tackle spooled nicely on it so 500' should not be a problem. There is no doubt that it's a heavy reel but feels solid and well made. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use it this season as last year year it wasn't in the cards with my schedule. It's also a lever drag reel which is different that the star like the smaller Okuma and Shimanos.

Tekota 800 and a Daiwa Seagate 60 both can handle 500' of 45# Copper with 150yds of backing. Both of those reels have a much better gear ratio than a Solterra, and I'd even go as far as saying better drags (especially with the Seagate). If you want to go over 500' of Copper for whatever reason then your talking Solterra's. 

Edited by Yankee Troller

You can put 600 feet of 32 lbs copper on a Daiwa seagate 60 with 150 yds of 40 lbs power pro. That's about the longest "fun" copper you can fish. Those Solterra's are like farm equipment. Slow, heavy and not fun at all to reel in, You'll be drawing straws on who takes the next fish off that rod.

Ughhhh......you guys and your different pound coppers! LOL I don't know how you keep track of all those depth curves! It would drive me nuts trying to remember all that info. It's bad enough with all the names of the lures!

45# A-TOM-MIK Copper for me as long as Tom's selling it! 

Edited by Yankee Troller

This will be my first season running copper by my understanding is that it's good to stay with the same pound copper. 45 is what I am planning on going with. This narrows down my choice of reels. Whan doing some research I decided on the okuma. It was suggested that its easier to reel in 500 on solterra. When looking at gear ratio between reels it doesnt appear that the solterra is any better than the other reels that can hold 500.

This will be my first season running copper by my understanding is that it's good to stay with the same pound copper. 45 is what I am planning on going with. This narrows down my choice of reels. Whan doing some research I decided on the okuma. It was suggested that its easier to reel in 500 on solterra. When looking at gear ratio between reels it doesnt appear that the solterra is any better than the other reels that can hold 500.

The Okuma 50L that was suggested earlier has a 3.1:1 ratio, and as far as I know they are discontinued by Okuma. Shimano's Tekota 800 is 4.2:1, and the Daiwa Seagate 60 is 6.1:1.