Leadcore set up question

I am preparing setups for this spring. I am going to run a lead core 5+5 colour on one rod. So we could use 5 colors, have a section of line and then 5 more colors.

Does anyone have any advice on how much braid or mono to put between the colours? I will be primarily running the lead core on planer boards.

This might be a little caveman theory on my part but this is the way I did it. First I bought a Berkley line counter that measures line in feet and attaches to your pole. I used the same reels also first I reeled on my leadcore line say your 5 colors then I tied the lead to the braid line. Here come the line counter set it up and reel your spool full and pay attention to the line counter what ever it reads, now you have the amount of the braid you need on the reel, so to get my a$$ backwards line on correct I just reel the line off the backwards reel onto another reel of the same size then your leadcore will be on top. This way there's no guessing. For each color being different say a 7 color the same technique is used, spin the core on first then your backing watch your line counter on the pole. Spin your a$$ backwards over on to the other reel, repeat your backing numbers on first then your core. Maybe others have a better way, this way gets the spool full to the capacity of the reel. If you do a 7 color now you have a 3 color. I did it so what one core did the other part made a short core. Like a 5&5 or 3&7. I use line counter reels so I know how much backer I have out or maybe I want to add a snap weight, I need to know how much line is out. A lot of guys just run a level line reel and estimate the amount of backer they want out. Hope this helps a little. PAP.

Not sure what you would gain by separating the ten color. If you want a certain depth you usually get 5-7' per color out. The inline boards can hold the lead core at any length so you can choose your running depth. A 50 sized reel can hold ten colors and that may be your biggest consideration The size of the reel you get is going to determine how many colors you can run. Another thing I learned about lead core is the leader length, 15' or less of floro (quality, seaguar red) seems to give the lure better action and still remains stealthy.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Does he mean 5 colors some mono, than another 5 colors? Same with 7-3 color with mono, so he has a 10 color with mono spliced in? What's that going to prove? Then disregard my above post I'm lost.

This might be a little caveman theory on my part but this is the way I did it. First I bought a Berkley line counter that measures line in feet and attaches to your pole. I used the same reels also first I reeled on my leadcore line say your 5 colors then I tied the lead to the braid line. Here come the line counter set it up and reel your spool full and pay attention to the line counter what ever it reads, now you have the amount of the braid you need on the reel, so to get my a$$ backwards line on correct I just reel the line off the backwards reel onto another reel of the same size then your leadcore will be on top. This way there's no guessing. For each color being different say a 7 color the same technique is used, spin the core on first then your backing watch your line counter on the pole. Spin your a$$ backwards over on to the other reel, repeat your backing numbers on first then your core. Maybe others have a better way, this way gets the spool full to the capacity of the reel. If you do a 7 color now you have a 3 color. I did it so what one core did the other part made a short core. Like a 5&5 or 3&7. I use line counter reels so I know how much backer I have out or maybe I want to add a snap weight, I need to know how much line is out. A lot of guys just run a level line reel and estimate the amount of backer they want out. Hope this helps a little. PAP.

Thanks pap, makes perfect sense! 

I have a ten color. You  can't let out 5 colors on a ten color and just stop it on the reel. All the lead needs to be in the water. So, my theory is that if I have 5 colors of lead-mono-and another 5 colors of lead, I could let out 5 colours and fish fine, or I could let out the other 5 colors and now I have a ten color

does that make sense?

Just be careful if you are going to connect a release to the leadcore if you are using a planer board as you could ruin the leadcore. You could probably use a rubber band release on the lead...it should not ruin it.

That's the idea of the mono between the two 5 colors

The thing you don't want to do is damage the leadcore sheath and have lead protruding...I have rods set-up as "shots" For spring Browns I have 2 color and 3 color leadcore "shots" so I am at a certain depth and am connecting my planer board to the powerpro backing not the lead. 

I am preparing setups for this spring. I am going to run a lead core 5+5 colour on one rod. So we could use 5 colors, have a section of line and then 5 more colors.

Does anyone have any advice on how much braid or mono to put between the colours? I will be primarily running the lead core on planer boards.

I have a 3+2 on the boat with just a short 3' piece of braid between them which is just big enough for a board. 

Depending on what type of release you are running you may want to consider using mono between your "shots".  Sometimes the braid can be a pain to keep in the release. Tying  willis knot with braid can test your patience at times as well! :envy:

Depending on what type of release you are running you may want to consider using mono between your "shots".  Sometimes the braid can be a pain to keep in the release. Tying  willis knot with braid can test your patience at times as well! :envy:

Didn't think that was possible.. Can you give more info on how you do that..

It is a p.i.t.a. but it can be done if it is a heavier braid which tends to be a little stiffer.  I have done it with 40 and 50#. Sometimes using the point of a needle to get the braid through the knot is helpful but, like you said its tough, I don't think I would bother to try it with anything much lighter, just drive yourself crazy!

I have a 3+2 on the boat with just a short 3' piece of braid between them which is just big enough for a board. 

i'm curious about how well this works.when you're running just the first segment do you let the second segment all the out past the rod tip?does it drag in the water?it seems to me that if the second segment isn't past the rod tip and is rubbing against the rod tip in the wave action then the lead would eventually wear out. thanks

I probably don't run lead core as much as many of the guys on here (much more various wire type setups) but I've never had any problems using rubber bands directly to the lead core (27lb)....just have to do some testing to select the right strength rubber bands that allow the core to stay attached but while being weak enough to break with fish and not use the same spots over and over. The more connections you have with ANYTHING the greater the chance of failures. Normally I use the little rubber bands that girls use (hopefully no comments here from my buddies :lol: ) in their hair and mainly the fluorescent ones so I can see them fairly well from a distance.

Yeah, I guess my main concern would be what shawn wrote about. If you don't let all the lead out you have a point where it can ply back and forth and maybe weaken up.  If you have 5 color, that's 150ft of line you gotta let hang between the board and rod tip. It isn't a crazy amount, but the board would be way out. You might be better of dividing 7 and 3 per say.