Lund Tyee 1850 Kicker Question

IUP30

Hey guys,

I have a 1990 Lund Tyee 1850 and I'm going to be putting a new kicker motor on it after I had been using a motor we take on and off for duck hunting.  I'm looking to purchase a new motor and it will likely be a Tohatsu 9.8 electric start but I have a question on the shaft length and maybe you'll steer me in the right direction.

From what I can recall on the older kicker, I think it's a 15" shaft (going over to measure it tonight after work to confirm) and it seemed to push the boat fine for the trolling we do with it.  I measured my transom and it's 20" at the centerline to bottom of hull for the big motor and where the kicker will be mounted it was 15".  I've been doing a lot of reading and found both opinions that the 15" or the 20" will work here for my boat but I'm undecided as to what to order. 

I'm torn with what size to go with.  On one hand I think I like the 15" due to I think that's what was on there and it performed fine.  On the other hand, I've read the 20" will give me more control and power being further down in the water but I'm also worried about drag, especially when it's tilted up and running.  As I can recall, the older kicker had just enough clearance when tilted to not drag.

I'm looking for your opinions and specifically if anyone's ever had this same boat and put a kicker on.  What performed better for you?  There's really no big difference in price and that's not my concern - just want to get what will work best for my boat.

The 15 inch would likely work fine, if you are making the investment on a kicker, spend the extra money and get the 20 inch.  When it gets wave action, the lower unit is deeper into the water.

I have had a couple Starcrafts and now a Sea Nymph so I have had experience.