Coyote or Wolf? Another pic added

Total Chaos

Got this pic on my trailcam near Albany NY. And yes I know the time is wrong but the date is correct. Anyway, you can see the similarity with a Wolf and with a Coyote. I posted it on FB as well and the debate is raging on. So which is it?

Total Chaos

I added another pic!

post-141352-0-32638600-1454096267_thumb.jpg

post-141352-0-99511400-1454097145_thumb.jpg

post-141352-0-22845000-1454114300_thumb.jpg

Edited by Total Chaos

I'm going to see what Whaler has to say. He certainly has seen enough of the dogs to give a educated call on what it may be. I would be willing to say it's a crossbreed. There has been a ongoing study that the NY yotes are migrating north and interbreeding with Maine and the Canadian red wolf. This might be one of those cross breeds, which could lead to a problem, now they will rule the woods and this has been the wildlife managements upmost concern. I certainly hope not!!!

Total chaos is this pic from the pine bush area??

There are a lot of dogs around the dump/ landfill area!! I see them often when traveling the tway in daylight around

there. There is a very large den behind the trailer park off Lincoln avenue by the tracks.

The pine bush collars coyotes foxes and other critters in the area to do studies on.

You can often see a pick up with crazy antennas on it pulled over tracking collared animals. I trap in that area so I was just curious.

Gotcha. They say there is a albino wolf running around middleburgh area!!

Could be a blond yote. Who knows.

There was a face book post on Steve caperizzos pet connection about a bobcat in Berne and people were going way crazy with speculations that it was a mountain lion.

Lol. Check it out it's worth the laughs.

Back in the 80's and early 90's we used to see lots of coyotes that were much larger and were wolf crosses. One of the first houndsmen to run yotes in NY told stories of having trouble getting some of his pelts sealed every year as they looked so much like wolves. He has huge black one mounted that the DEC did testing on and it was mostly wolf. As far as color goes coyotes come in about every shade from white to black...

I agree with Justin, my dog and I were out shed hunting a few years back she was over a knoll in a field and I see her tail tucked and running back to me. She had three yotes in tow, one of them looked just like that dog in the pic. I ran at them yelling two turned tail the biggest one just paused for a second and gave me that really pissed look. After sizing me up he finally turned and loped away looking over his shoulder the whole way. I'll never forget his face. Came to find that the farmer had been dumping calves and these yotes were getting very big. I'd estimate that the big guy was all of 65-70lbs. Black with the light colored legs like the one in the pic.

Not many guys believed me when I said how big it was but I've seen lots of them and he was something different.

Cool pic, get some traps out n kill it, lol!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nautitroller

That is an eastern coyote.  I saw a show on pbs and they talked about how the coyotes vary from west to the east. The eastern coyote is 10 lbs heavier than it's western counter part. Dna test found that most eastern coyotes have wolf genetics and the further north you go the more wolf. The scientist was out of Toronto. Other than dna test , The skulls from different regions showed how they differ. The western coyote compared to the wolf had very different skulls. The coyote had a narrow skull with a short nose. The wolf had a wider skull with long nose. The eastern was between the two. With that being said does that mean we have first generation  hybrids? The answer is no. This has been going on for thousands of years. The study showed with dna test on the eastern coyotes  the further north you go the more wolf genetics. We got a black one few years back and I just saw another one when I was checking my traps the other day. Hope you get to see him in person. He's a good looking animal !  Wes

Coyotes in the Adirondacks have crossed with timber wolfs from Canada so it could be a Adirondack timberyote!! lol

I have a full mounted female with the same colors I shot on a deer drive 15 yrs ago.

Dna would prove what it is.

Set some traps or get the caller out!!!!

Edited by BigWilly

Keep in mind the St. Lawrence River froze over the past two winters so dogs could come over from Quebec.  They didn't get the ice breaker up the river until late March or April I believe so dogs starting their mating wander could have come across.

Exactly gill !!!

I just recently read a story about this.

They were saying that they have seen tracks crossing the st Lawrence river the last few years. Last year the wolf pack could have crossed the ice pack looking for a mate at anytime there was plenty of ice.

It is all possible.