SLR Ice

Kevin J Legg

First trip on the ice today. We had a decent day with perch and pike. My buddy hammered the perch but I couldn't get them going. Still had a nice day on the ice. I also heard reports that perch and pike were hitting well on post-144887-14541967014252_thumb.jpgmost all of the large bays which have ice.. We were able to take the wheeler and had about a foot of ice..

I envy the ice you folks have Kevin and there is some great eating there. Most of the folks I know around here are afraid of the pike because of the bones but pike and pickerel have some of the best tasting meat of freshwater fish. Looks as though the ice may disappear here with this warm spell.

My friend Rich has a place on Honeoye and did pretty well catching perch and some walleyes. Yesterday he had a slow day. I may run down and join him if the ice holds up. I believe the ice we have should be here for a while. I really like pike, just need to fillet out the Y bones.

Be real careful if you fish Honeoye Kevin some of that ice is very "sketchy" right now and a couple guys already had to be rescued after a close call. We're hoping that this warm spell doesn't destroy what is there and that the following projected cold spell will firm it back up but it is still a big question mark right now. It is great that your buddy got into the walleyes as for most folks they have been "absent".

There is way too much food in that lake.  The dink gills and perch in the lake make for a lot of competition!  I hope we are not done for the season on Honeoye.  I have a bad feeling......   The forecast after Wednesday looks OK but that could change.  I would stay up north and have your buddy come join you Kevin.

I heard about the guys that went through. I try not to be very risky at this point in my life. With good ice and lots of possibilities here, I will likely stay north and take advantage of all this area has to offer. So many options on the Indian River Lakes, the River and the Big Lake bays. Thanks for the heads up and concern.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Great job Kevin, my dad loved to eat pike, one day we did a experiment we cubed walleye and pike and beer battered the both and 9 out of 10 couldn't tell the difference. The way the Canadians fillet pike is they cut down to the y bone and along the top and they take that strip from the top to the y bones the rest gets chucked. We thought what a wast!! This was up in Quebec years ago, we made meals out of their fish, I picked the y bones out and deep fried them uuumm good, we were rather upset with those guys. They did get a ear full when the owner saw the 10# walleye head they nailed to the tree, your supposed to release the females.

Fishing again today and we lost about a quarter of the ice we had Saturday. Down to about 8" but still good ice. Tomorrows warm temperatures and wind will likely take out a bunch more. Caught 5 pike and released the 3 smallest which were barely keepers. Perch have been smaller than Saturday and scattered but still ended up with 40.

post-144887-14544537531991_thumb.jpg

Fished again yesterday and there was 7" of good ice. Glad I could take my 4wheeler, shanty, and heater on the ice as there was a brisk north wind. Lots of dink perch to sort through but ended up with 18 keepers and a 26" pike. Looks like some very cold weather for a few days and then warm again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the river again yesterday with a group of 8 anglers. It was a slow day with only two pike iced, a 33" and 25". Lots of dink perch but no keepers. The snow, ice layer and some slush made for tough going. Snowmobiles were ok but wheelers would have difficulty. Not sure what today's heat and wind will do but believe it will be a a slushy mess.