Ice Shanty Question

PennYan20

Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever lost an ice hut due to a too quick of a thaw? I see them placed stratically on Long Pond and others, and always wondered about it. How do you go about retrieving it in the Spring if it sinks? Thanks, Steve.............

I remember seeing a camping  trailer on the Sacandaga when I had a camp there all winter. The next time  I went by the thaw came and it started losing shore. I went back the next week it was sitting on an ice cube, and I knew it wasn't going home with anyone. The week after it was gone, I'm assuming it's still sitting there.

A camping trailer, no less! :lol: So, it does happen every now and again. That's got to be a bummer, to blow into work, go fishing, and find your shanty is gone. That's got to be a bad day!  :shake:  Steve.....

I remember when they used to have them on Cayuga Lake and It was required that ownership info be visibly posted on them and some of them needed to be recovered by the owners and they legally had to be recovered...I'm sure that was expensive.