Kicker Motor Shaft Length

tds840

I have a 2000 Trophy 2052 WalkAround I/O and am looking to install a 9.9 kicker motor on it this spring.  I'm guessing I need a long shaft.  The questions is do I need a 20" or 25" shaft ? 

Edited by tds840

A number of questions come to mind:

1. Exactly how and where will it be located  e.g. on a bracket or transom ?

2. What is the shaft length of your big motor ? A lot will relate to steering concerns....e.g. do you intend to use a steering  hookup (like EZ steer etc.) If so you'll need to know rod length for the connector.

3. How far down will the prop operate in the water when the shaft is in the down position?

4. Will the prop be out of the water (or dragging) when you are underway or full tilt?

5. The specific type of bracket and clearance settings etc. come into play as well (need a real sturdy one).

Sounds as though you need to do some measuring and a little research for starters :)

Although I have the EZ steer system I found that I actually didn't even need it under most conditions with my 25 inch shaft trolling motor. I just steer with my big motor (also 25 inch outboard) and it works fine but it is also located up fairly high on the bracket as well so it doesn't drag in the water while I'm underway.

Edited by Sk8man

I run a 9.9 Mercury Bigfoot 20" shaft off the swim platform of my 89 Trophy 2160. Actual shaft length is 21.5" on those. Gear case sits just below or at the hull depth due to the deep v. It also sits back a bit off the platform which must help. No major cavitation issues in seas less than 4'. Above that can be a little problematic but that is usually the limit for trolling fish ability on my little rig.

When I replace it with a power tilt model I will go with a 25" if one is available, but 20" has been completely workable on my set up.

Just make sure that gear case sits below the hull when in use and don't skimp on the kicker mount, they get beat in rough water.

I tried to put a kicker on my '01 Trophy 2002. I ran into problems with the cockpit drains not allowing me to mount the bracket low enough. My only advice is measure, measure, measure before you drill. Some brackets drop lower than others. Do your research there. I would say a 25" shaft is the only option to really get the prop low enough to not spin free in waves. Best of luck. I ended up going with trolling bags instead. Too much of a gamble not being sure.

Buddy has the same boat but with an outboard.  He uses a 20" shaft fine but it's on a panther transom mount where it can get up out of the water and outta the way when cruising and gets deployed down into the water when trolling.  He uses the EZ-steer to connect to his main OB.  Works good.