Best times to fish Ontario

DENNIS

Trying to book some fishing trips for the year. Need help . What days are good days in the months of April ,June,Aug and Sept. Have a 17ft Smokercraft Tracer. 40 hp with downrigger and all the gear for all types of fishing. Its a 5 hour drive so don't want to waste time. Fishing out of Mexico bay. Thanks for all the help.

If it were me, driving 5 hours with that rig, I would focus on April for Browns, or late aug/early sep for staging kings.

More importantly, you should come up with a Plan B, in case the big lake is unfishable.  You'll be 30 mins from Oneida, and around an hour to the various fingerlakes, depending on where you go. 

Dennis,

As stated above, any time you can get on the big lake is a good time. I am almost on Cape Cod and enjoy every minute I can get out that way.

That being said. If you want to take a trip in June, I would look strongly at Oswego or Fair Haven. Your travel time would be the same and the deeper water is a lot closer to the shore.

Good luck in your decision and safe travels.

Maybe I will see you on the pike one of these days.

Richard

With the length of your trip I would consider adding another 45 min. On it and go to henderson harbor. When I was fishing a smaller boat this was the go to area. Lots of sheltered areas and VERY good fishing. The hardest part is deciding what species you want to target.