Northern Pike- Varied Menu

EsoxAC3

Yeah they are something ...I 've found a frog  and a bullhead in them in the past. A long time ago my son and I came across a huge one with his head out of the water swimming in shallow water in Seneca and when we got closer we realized he had a great big perch jammed in his throat that he was trying to get down. The perch flared his gills and probably flared his dorsal as they do so he couldn't swallow it :lol:

About 10 years ago my cousin and I were fishing the Delaware River and we saw this white duck floating on the water it looke like it was folded in half like. Come to find out it was a Muskie that tried to eat a full size duck, long story short the Muskie was dead but the duck was alive, and had someone caught that mess they would of had the state record for a Muskie. That was a shame for that fish.

I saw a fish swirling on the surface years ago and netted a skinny 37 " pike that had a bullhead lodged in it's gullet. Also once netted a 20" smallmouth with a large bluegill lodged in it's throat. Sometimes their eyes are bigger than their mouth but it is amazing what they can eat. Big lure big fish?

its not uncommon for predators to pick stones up off of bottom when attacking prey.  over a lifetime of fish keeping I have seen it regularlly the fish will hit the bait so hard they strike through it and hit bottom often picking up debris as they do.  I have seen my fish burp stones up hours later its fun to watch