Starcraft Islander question...

Fellow Islander owners, if there is someone here who has a more modern Islander, can you PM me a few pics of the interior?  I'm freshening up my 89 with some new floors, coverings, seats, etc.  Problem is, there isn't much reference material online for some of the more modern boats, say 2000 and up. 

Thanks in advance.

How do you guys like your islander? Neighbor at camp has one and I really like the looks of it. There's one for sale I've been pondering.Not crazy about having a doghouse though, this one has a 4.3merc. How do they handle out in the big lake? I already have a riveted boat but it's not big enough to chase salmon on the nasty days. I'm currently shopping for a larger boat to add to the fleet but pretty set on fiberglass but I like the islanders. Do they troll well? How do they ride in a tight chop like around the trench/stoney point......enough room to fish 4 guys? Enough room in the cuddy for the wife and baby? FWIW I get seasick real easy so when it's anything over 3+ id likely stay home but I want the option of heading out and being safe in whatever I buy. 

Thanks!!

Well, here's my personal take on my 221V....

Fairly light to tow, in comparison to the same size boat in glass.  Sits high and dry in the water.  This is a comforting feeling, but also makes it catch a breeze fairly easily (most noticeable when turning during a troll).  They ride just fine in a light chop, especially once on plane and on top of the chop.  But like any aluminum boat, once they get to a certain size, you'll get the pounding.  When they pound, they definitely pound a bit harder than glass.  They take a good beating for a riveted boat.  I take mine to the limits on lake Erie, day in and day out.  And in 5 seasons I have had to address 3 rivets.  With that being said, when I pull my floors up, I am going to rebuck my rivets while I'm in there.  In terms of room, I often fish 4 guys no problem.  The cuddy has ample space for your kids. 

I'd say the biggest downside to the boat, is the rougher ride in choppier water, and without trim tabs they tend to bite the water and roll a bit if you get caught having to run in the trough.   But if I slow down, I have never found myself in a situation that I felt uncomfortable in, and I've been caught in some heavy heavy weather on Erie several times.

The doghouse really isn't that big of a problem.  There's ample room to each side of it.  The 4.3 runs all day for little cost.  I have an area on Erie that I run 27 miles in each direction, troll all day on the main engine, and it uses about 70 bucks in total.  Cruises great at around 27-29mph, and tops out around 35-38.  Trolls all day no probs.  Gets down around 1.8-2.2mph without trolling socks, and with a tiny kick up in throttle, trolls great for salmon at 2.2-3.0mph.

All in all, if you find one in decent shape for the right price, can't beat them. 

Edited by bigturk_80

Yep, I'll be doing that for sure.  Plan was to change out fill, vent, and pickup line.  Looking to pull up floors, foam, do tank and lines, and address any rivets.  Seal with gluvit on the inside, re-foam, re-floor, and upgrade the interior.  Big job, but I love the boat so I think it's worth while.

No my floor didn't get hot, It didn't shine from the sun either, It dulled down after being on it, A lot of guys liked it, I even helped a couple of guys do there floors the same, Both being Islanders, OB and 2 IOs  Mine I replaced 95 per. of the wood, Even the walls to the dash.  You add up the cost of the plywood the vinyl glue and if you seal the wood properly with resin and fiberglass, You'll have way more the the diamond plate would cost.

Edited by fish-on

post-139690-0-13223700-1454965820_thumb.jpgpost-139690-0-22388100-1454966061_thumb.jpgpost-139690-0-87983500-1454966192_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of the interior of my boat. However I do have a couple pictures of some homemade jump seats/storage space my wife made. Yes I said my wife, she is one of those DIY divas you see on TV building houses. The only complaint I have on my 2006 Islander is the lack of rear facing seats and storage compartments. These jump seats took care of that problem. I can fit 4 large plastic tackle bins in each jump seat. They also work well as a step to get in and out of the deep hull.

Edited by steelfire

about 4 years after having purchased mine, I had a couple rocket launcher knobs crack. They replaced them all and set me extras just in case for FREE!!! I thought that was awesome. Not many companies will do that for customers.