Grandkids want to catch pike. help

MRBIG

Hi All,

Brand new here. My name is Sam and I live in Berwick Pa. I am sure you all know Troy Creasy. I went to school with his brother Dave. I need some advice about pike fishing. I would like to take my 3 grandsons pike fishing. I normally fish the Canadian side however It gets a little complicated taking kids across the border that are not yours. I have been doing a lot of research and keep getting conflicting reports on the pike fishing. My question is. Where on the eastern shore or on the St Lawrence river would I have the very best chances of my grandkids catching a mess of pike? These are my options so far. Irondequoit bay, Sodus bay, Henderson Harbor, Sackets harbor, Black river bay, Chaumont bay, St Lawrence river at Clayton. I plan on coming up in August. What place would I have the very best chance of catching pike that time of year?  I have an Alumacraft navigator 175 CS. I thank you and my grandkids thank you.

August can be tough for numbers of pike especially in the bays. i would say your best bet would be the deep weed edges around Clayton.If you're drifting with minnows and not getting any action then move deeper and look for them suspending 

• 2 weeks later...

Eel bay off the west side of Wellesly island. Drift and cast at first light till you can't cast anymore. Throw spoons and spinners in 6-20 foot of water, and reel them in fast. If you have Loco spoons they never let me down. Windy days with light chop and big clouds is a bonus, they seem the hit when the light changes as clouds pass the sun. Any bays in that area are a good place to look, north side of Grinstone is great as well. Just don't go into Canada. Good luck and have fun.

Eel bay off the west side of Wellesly island. Drift and cast at first light till you can't cast anymore. Throw spoons and spinners in 6-20 foot of water, and reel them in fast. If you have Loco spoons they never let me down. Windy days with light chop and big clouds is a bonus, they seem the hit when the light changes as clouds pass the sun. Any bays in that area are a good place to look, north side of Grinstone is great as well. Just don't go into Canada. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks. I know there is a boat launch at the state park. Do you know of a municipal launch closer to the bay?

Look into red lake in theresa. Has some camps to rent and connects to Indian river. My home lake. River is loaded with pike and lake has all kinds of fish to keep them busy. Only 20 min the st. Lawrence.

Thanks. I will check it out.

Husky Jerks been the best producers for 15 years. Straight acrossed from Clayton Marine there is a little area me and buddy called pike alley. Usually caught the big ones out front small to medium ones inside it. French creek usually has some in there but I don't know about that late in the season. When the husky jerks won't produce bust out the chartreuse jigs with minnows. Usually do it for perch but it always seems to get some big pike... Few times I've ran into musky up there... Never caught one or had one on... But its exciting to see them raise off the bottom like a log and stare at the boat...

If you want pike, Seneca lake has pretty good pike population. On a decent day i can average 2 o 3... Some days up to 10. Just gotta keep casting moving in and out of big Rocky areas.

Best of luck to you and the kids.

-Mike

Edited by FishingTheFL