Planner mast mounting

Giz9219

Last year got the planner set up for my boat,was wondering how to mount the mast?ended up taking the seat base off the pedestal up front,used a 1-1/2" pvc pipe as a bushing,put the mast in,drilled a hole through all and put a pin in it,easy to put in and out,worked great!

I have just finished adapting my front seat post to be able to mounty planner mast in. After i figured what i needed for spacers. I bought a 3 ft piece of nylon 66 from McMaster Carr on line, that i cut four 8in long pieces from. It just happened that i could use a standard thickness they sold. 5/16 inch thick. I laid out where the spacers were to be mounted, drilled clearance holes in the post and drilled and tapped corresponding holes in the spacers. The spacer material cost about $6, pretty cheap. The last thing I did was to drill a hole though the seat post and the planer mast to keep keep the mast height where i wanted it and to keep it from rotating in the post.

Hope this helps.

Boat Safe

Egoody

Fitzwilliam, NH

post-152035-0-37781100-1455249940_thumb.jpg

post-152035-0-05827400-1455250030_thumb.jpg

Big Jon sells a seat post mount. I bought one a few years ago. I would suggest you put a couple ratchet straps on the front of the mast. To add some support and keep it from pulling out of the seat post. Which has happened to me before.

5232071F-25AB-4DB0-B95F-98F1D1B5F6C7.jpg

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

• 4 weeks later...

That's what I wanted to do when I started, just find something quick and easy. I couldn't find any pipe/pvc the size that fit the way I was looking for in my seat post and at the same time would be a good fit for the planer mast.

Thanks for the Picts.....

Boat Safe

Egoody

• 2 weeks later...

u can buy pipe the same size as that used for pedestal and likely save money. i use a section of that same pipe in my front pedestal mount to hold my net. here is what i use to hold my planer mast. post-152882-14583546358271_thumb.jpg

insert mast and you r set no straps needed. i used nylon self locking nuts to prevent them backing out.

So I just picked up a Big Jon Mast, my brother has a Lund with a pedestal seat mount but I don't see any adapters to mount the mast to the pedestal. Seems like they stopped making them. I see how others noted above had used spacers and secured the main post thru the pedestal but how do you do that with the welded 4x4 base on the mast post? Did you cut the base plate off? I need to utilize the pedestal mount as he doesn't want to mount it directly to the floor.