Camp/Cottage break-ins Chaumont Bay NY

Chas0218

There have been a series of burglaries out on Point Peninsula around 19 cottages/camps have been broken into. I saw this news on the Chaumont-Three mile bay chamber of commerce's facebook page. If you don't follow them but have property in the area it wouldn't be a bad idea to follow the page. If anyone is up in that area and willing to keep an extra eye open for things out of the ordinary I am sure the short timers will greatly appreciate it.

I have been told by a local it was Luff shores area and the items stolen so far were guns and money.

Here is a link to the chamber on there you will see a link to their facebook page. http://www.chaumontchamber.com/index.html

It was posted on Feb. 7th

Edited by Chas0218

Man that sucks, I'm the kind of person I have no use for a thief, people work hard for what they have, and to just have it stripped from you grinds my synchronizers, I had believe it or not family members rob my house and I prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!!! They thought I would just say ya know what just give me the stuff back and we'll call it even, not so the judges asked if I wanted to go through with this and I said lets roll, they got a hellish fine and up to 4 years. I got my guns back and other important paper work back. Chop off their hands like they did years ago. That's how I feel about it. Better get some sort of security out there or they'll just keep at it!!

They say if someone breaks into your home and leaves your expensive items alone they knew you. Maybe not a best friend but someone that knows your habits and what you leave behind after closing camp. Any seasonal home is an easy target.

They say if someone breaks into your home and leaves your expensive items alone they knew you. Maybe not a best friend but someone that knows your habits and what you leave behind after closing camp. Any seasonal home is an easy target.

That's absolutely true, these guys knew I inherited my dads guns and important papers that will be worth money till my daughters grow up, they didn't touch my wife's jewelry. Worth more than the paper work. Direct bloodline, but druggies, worthless pieces of shyt!!

Pap, that sucks.  They say you can't pick your family.

We had some issues on our lake property when I was growing up.  Crazy fixes a lot.  The law doesn't scare away a lot of these low lifes but if they think the landowner is crazy, the word gets out not to trespass on his property or they might be taking a dirt nap.  After my Dad starting making threats and talking about booby trapping the cottage, the stuff that happened in the offseason suddenly stopped.  One of my favorite stories is the time we were watching our next door neighbors place and they had some howl at the moon cult or something so they had a really nice fire pit and the older teens down the lake wanted to party at it.  My Mom asked them nicely and then told them they needed to leave.  When they started giving her a rough time, next thing I know  my Dad is up there (after getting into the bourbon) in his tighty whities pushing their old man into the car with one hand and the glock in his other hand behind his back.  I don't think he needed the gun and I don't think they even knew he had it.  They didn't come back.

I have talked with my brother about this camp thing.  He owns one and he tells me that a locked gate tells everyone that you are not there.  He has no gate but he makes sure that the lawn is always mowed and he has had no issues.  He told me a story of guy he knew thru his wife that was watching his property thru a web trail cam as the guy was breaking in.  He called the police and had them meet him there and he printed off the picture of the guy and gave it to police and found him two counties over with dozens of stolen guns.  This was another state. 

Point being that: sometimes perception is a stronger deterrent.

BS your black high lighted words speak the truth. I have a weapons permit to carry open and concealed, there was a family living above my house peddling drugs, they had a little communication going on with sneakers and flip flop shoes at the bridge just before my house, one night late I saw headlights come up the driveway, so I went down to the garage door and opened it up just so I could hear, they were looking for a bag in a flower pot behind the burn barrel, well they were at the wrong house, as I approached the 2 kids with a 40 S&W loaded pointing at the one kid, they begged me not to shoot, I informed them they were at the wrong house and I told them to leave and I shall never see them again. Well the little peckerheads called the cops soon their in the driveway 2:30am now I'm pissed, they told the cops I had a gun and I threatened to kill them, that never happened I explained to the officers, they said I had a gun that the hole in the end of the gun looked like you were looking into a coffee cup it's huge they claimed, I showed the cops the guns my permits and they ran a check on my pistol and told me to have a nice day. I told the cops about the shoes at the bridge and that the dude above is peddling drugs, next I see the lights come on the trooper car and since the house was empty till a elderly couple bought it. Everything worked out!!!

Just taking a drive up route 3 in that area between Pulaski and Watertown says it all. It's destitute!..I haven't been up there in many years until a couple years ago, but nothing has improved. It looks the same as it did in the 80's, that's what I mean. The poor economy in this state has fostered the low life mentality well in that area.

Yea your right Skipper19 we've been coming up to Dexter area for 40 years, I believe the Dexter area struggles also unless you own a diner or some sort of eating establishment, since Wink's owned that hotel and eating joint it has changed hands many time untill the young lady that owns it now, I think what holds her head above water is the GI's that rent the rooms out of Fort Drum, back the lane over the bridge of the Perch River we owned property until the late 80's it looks the same to this day, we take a ride over there on crappy days when we can't fish. It's a real shame!!!

UPDATE: There are now 33 homes/cottages that have been broken into. Please spread the word so people that have camps in that area can have them checked. Link to the news article below.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/33-Homes-Broken-Into-Around-3-Mile-Bay-Troopers-Say-368289011.html 

Just taking a drive up route 3 in that area between Pulaski and Watertown says it all. It's destitute!..I haven't been up there in many years until a couple years ago, but nothing has improved. It looks the same as it did in the 80's, that's what I mean. The poor economy in this state has fostered the low life mentality well in that area.

You couldn't be more right. It is sad but it seems like people are getting more and more desperate.
Edited by Chas0218

It seems to me that there are a lot of stories about break ins and theft from Oswego to Watertown.  I know it happens everywhere but seems more prevalent in this region.  Does this resinate with anyone else?

Yes I have to agree, seems like it is happening more often now or maybe we are just able to find out about it easier either way it is tough to trust anyone anymore. I can say I think I'm a pretty good judge of character but do give people the benefit of the doubt too often.

Pap, that sucks.  They say you can't pick your family.

We had some issues on our lake property when I was growing up.  Crazy fixes a lot.  The law doesn't scare away a lot of these low lifes but if they think the landowner is crazy, the word gets out not to trespass on his property or they might be taking a dirt nap.  After my Dad starting making threats and talking about booby trapping the cottage, the stuff that happened in the offseason suddenly stopped.  One of my favorite stories is the time we were watching our next door neighbors place and they had some howl at the moon cult or something so they had a really nice fire pit and the older teens down the lake wanted to party at it.  My Mom asked them nicely and then told them they needed to leave.  When they started giving her a rough time, next thing I know  my Dad is up there (after getting into the bourbon) in his tighty whities pushing their old man into the car with one hand and the glock in his other hand behind his back.  I don't think he needed the gun and I don't think they even knew he had it.  They didn't come back.

I have talked with my brother about this camp thing.  He owns one and he tells me that a locked gate tells everyone that you are not there.  He has no gate but he makes sure that the lawn is always mowed and he has had no issues.  He told me a story of guy he knew thru his wife that was watching his property thru a web trail cam as the guy was breaking in.  He called the police and had them meet him there and he printed off the picture of the guy and gave it to police and found him two counties over with dozens of stolen guns.  This was another state. 

Point being that: sometimes perception is a stronger deterrent.

My Father in law and I are fortunate enough to have a neighbor that gets bored and goes up to our camp every week or so. I am hoping that if they see the tire tracks it is enough of a deterrent to keep them out. We don't use gates because they will only keep an honest person out anyway, if someone wants to get in they will.

On a side note in Chaumont Bay/Three Mile Bay area they were kicking in the doors to get in.