Flouro Leaders

I have given up on floro all together as I have never seen much of a difference on catch rate and I just don't see the value of using it. I run Big Game Clear line on all my reels. 30# for salmon (maybe I should run 20# with spoons) and 12# for trout and walleye. With any line, just watch for nicks and retie as needed.

• 3 months later...

Lol,   We worry about 6-12' of floro leaders as we hit them in the head with cannon balls, flashers, spin drs. , dipseys & everything else we send down.  I wonder if that piece of line really matters? Like a lot of things I think it catches more fishermen than fish!

The whole invisibility thing in my view is probably marketing hype. I do use fluoro but because it is abrasion resistant and a little stiffer and I believe it may give slightly better action  to the lure. I also believe in having a bit of stretch in the line for some applications (e.g. in the case of flies) because of the instantaneous shock from kings or large fish hitting them and mono tends to be stronger at the knot at least in my experience so I tie my own flies with 50 lb. Big Game. Fluoro is more brittle and quite stiff in cold weather too and I feel that knot strength suffers there the most  and that mono performs better in most cases in the cold for things like Seth Green leaders but in summer months I use fluoro. Everyone has there own take on it based on their own successes and failures so it is mainly a personal preference issue in the end.

Edited by Sk8man

Just saw a guy take, fluro, pink fluro, Mono , braid of few colors. Put it down in clear water 5 ft. No way a salmon/laker/ whatever sees Mono, especially Trolling at 2.5, at any depth and you will never convince me different. Hence if you are using it for different purposes OK.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's the thing, I use fluro too, for some things. Make rigs, flies, because of above reasons, abrasion resistance and stiffness, not invisibility.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app