Spark plug wires for boats

Gotta Bite

We are rebuilding the engine in my boat and I figure it would make Sense to replace the spark plug wires as I believe they are the original from 1989. Would I need to buy marine grade or standard spark plug wire kits. It's a 5.7L OMC cobra. Appreciate any feedback on this.

I usually replace with marine parts if you can. West marine has every kit possible. Sierra kits. Do you have electronic ignition? Good time to think about that

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure what you mean about electric ignition. It has a starter and you would turn the key just about any other big boat I've had. My Kicker is a pull start.

What Nick is saying is if you are going through the engine and updating/upgrading now would be the time to update to electronic ignition if its the old points and condenser. If it's an '89 I'd be surprised if it's not electronic but I guess it's possible. 

I might be old school but when I rebuilt my motor it had a Mallery duel point distributor and I kept it in the motor, I go over them every spring and never had a problem, I know with points I can make the motor run again just buy having a few spare parts in the glove box. With electronic solid state and it quits your done unless you carry a spare distributor cap with the electronic ign. in it, I carry a cap also with rotor, condenser, and points it all fits in a quart zip lock. Cost under $20.00 cheap ins. There is nothing wrong with electronic ign. Hotter spark, starts faster better fuel consumption.

most napa stores can hook ya up with marine grade wires (usually cheaper than marina )

changed my 86 OMC over to electric ign last year.....great investment

il

Did you go with a whole new distributor or did you convert it over using that plate that bolts in??

Where did you pick up the conversion to electric ?

I know you can order them from 'summit racing" they have a marine section, you'll need a lot of info off your dist. Like make, numbers off dist. Or our local marine dealer sells them. I was a auto electric rebuilder and I remember we used to get them for old units that you can't get parts for anymore. Contact your local starter & alternator shop they should be able to get them at a better price than a marina.

I converted my 1984 3.0L Merc in 1992, still runs today and I haven't had to make an ignition adjustment since. If I remember my distributor bushings where a little loose then which makes point gap or dwell wander while the electronic pickup could care less.

I converted my 1984 3.0L Merc in 1992, still runs today and I haven't had to make an ignition adjustment since. If I remember my distributor bushings where a little loose then which makes point gap or dwell wander while the electronic pickup could care less.

That's funny you say that, that's one thing my uncle was very concerned about he wanted me to do this before he sat the dist. back in. He said that's very important especially with the dwell. Well that's the second time in my life I heard this. The bushings cost less than the shipping, that should surprise anyone,anymore. Thanks for posting PAP.

I might be old school but when I rebuilt my motor it had a Mallery duel point distributor and I kept it in the motor, I go over them every spring and never had a problem, I know with points I can make the motor run again just buy having a few spare parts in the glove box. With electronic solid state and it quits your done unless you carry a spare distributor cap with the electronic ign. in it, I carry a cap also with rotor, condenser, and points it all fits in a quart zip lock. Cost under $20.00 cheap ins. There is nothing wrong with electronic ign. Hotter spark, starts faster better fuel consumption.

The cap and rotar doesn't go bad all of a sudden on an electronic ignition. It will over time, but you should be replacing those every year or two depending on condition. If there is anything that can just go bad with an electronic ignition it's the module. You can keep a spare on board for if and when that happens and it's a breeze to change. I'm no mechanic, and don;t pretend to play one, but even I can do this.  :lol:

I've heard the Mallory kits are hit and miss, but the AC Delco kits are money. The AC Delco kit was installed on our ride. 

Edited by Yankee Troller

Sorry for not explaining myself above. As said by others, electronic is nice. Every system has its ups and downs. What makes the difference is being mechanically inclined to do some of your own work. Rebuilding your engine, I'll assume you are. Now what Rick said, the crazy yank, I personally have had ac delco and Mallory. Mallory units are good if you get the right parts, its a YLM24 part number I believe but don't quote me. You MUST make sure you run Mallory ignition coil, if you don't, it will fry it.

Now my current boat I have the ac/delco and they are great. No issues and a simple task to service the unit. Nice hot spark every time. Service kits are easier to come by, as most Mallory parts come from summit... Shipping delays.

Good luck with your project. It's fun knowing what you put into it and when it pays off. Vroom vroom.

Nick

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The cap and rotar doesn't go bad all of a sudden on an electronic ignition. It will over time, but you should be replacing those every year or two depending on condition. If there is anything that can just go bad with an electronic ignition it's the module. You can keep a spare on board for if and when that happens and it's a breeze to change. I'm no mechanic, and don;t pretend to play one, but even I can do this.  :lol:

I've heard the Mallory kits are hit and miss, but the AC Delco kits are money. The AC Delco kit was installed on our ride.

I just wanted to let you know I really appreciate you input, if anyone has come across a delemia it would you as charter captain you certainly put the time in which in that theory you would find all the weak spots fast. I'm on the water approx 10 times a year, with that said I certainly don't need any more problems that I already have encountered. I had a 1987 Chevy pickup that ate pickup modules like candy, I always carried a spare part and a long torx bit screwdriver. LOL. I'll have to look into this a little deeper! Thanks Yankee!!!

I just wanted to let you know I really appreciate you input, if anyone has come across a delemia it would you as charter captain you certainly put the time in which in that theory you would find all the weak spots fast. I'm on the water approx 10 times a year, with that said I certainly don't need any more problems that I already have encountered. I had a 1987 Chevy pickup that ate pickup modules like candy, I always carried a spare part and a long torx bit screwdriver. LOL. I'll have to look into this a little deeper! Thanks Yankee!!!

FYI....I had a motor eating up modules 3 years ago. When it went we were 19 miles from the Oak coming back from Toronto. It sounded like I blew a motor at the time. Found out the module went bad. We went through 3 or 4 modules. Put a new one in and it ran fine, but would eventually blow. Cause of this was the pick up coil (not the regular coil) was bad. This coil is located on the shaft under the cap an rotar. Again, I'm no mechanic, but I do have a great one at my disposal. I watch and try to learn when he's working on my boat. I know much more now compared to 7 or 8 years ago when my old man did all the mechanic work.

89 OMC Cobra's had points. I had one. Replaced with Pertronix ignition and their flamethrower coil. Worked great. That 5.7 would have a Prestolite distributor and kits are available

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app