Ditch Bag

Thun

I'm putting together a ditch bag, aka an abandon ship bag and wondering if anyone else carries one on board. The bag itself is waterproof and will float up to 15 lbs containing a PLB, waterproof handheld VHF, waterproof hand held flares, strobe light, waterproof flashlights, cyalume light sticks, signal mirror, waterproof whistles, nylon rope and spare batteries kept in a waterproof container. I just want to give my loved ones the best chance at surviving a mishap.

http://www.boatingmag.com/gear/assembling-ditch-bag

I would add one item for daylight signaling. Floating blue or green  smoke signal flares/grenades. We always used them to bring med-evac choppers in because they were the best visible markers in daylight specially in bright sunlight

rolmops 7, rolpmops 7, this is Vulture one three, over.

Vulture one three, this is rolmops 7, over.

rolmops 7, pop smoke, over

Vulture one three, smoke out.

rolmops 7, this is Vulture one three: I.D. smoke, banana

Vulture one three, roger. 

rolmops 7,  I'm rolling in, out.

"click-click"

I'd say your pretty well set, the only other thing I could think of is those silver, looking like shiny tin foil blankets, I have 2 of those stored up in the cuddy. They work good, saying someone had to swim to shore they warm you up quick. I hope you never need it but if you do your pretty well covered. A old saying if you have it you'll never need it, if you don't have it you will need it. Either way what's the price of anyone's life??

I also carry a ditch bag. I added extra floatation by running rope through the cheap float noodles and lining inside of bag. These would act as extra throwable floatation. Plus I have 2 of the cheap blow up loungers. If the boat goes down and your flares are gone these can be inflated and held over your head to stick out of water an extra 4 feet. When you are floating in a life vest younare.almost invisible.

I'm putting together a ditch bag, aka an abandon ship bag and wondering if anyone else carries one on board. The bag itself is waterproof and will float up to 15 lbs containing a PLB, waterproof handheld VHF, waterproof hand held flares, strobe light, waterproof flashlights, cyalume light sticks, signal mirror, waterproof whistles, nylon rope and spare batteries kept in a waterproof container. I just want to give my loved ones the best chance at surviving a mishap.

http://www.boatingmag.com/gear/assembling-ditch-bag

this is a great idea, I am going to do the same. Thanks for the post.

Yup and I would hope that u never do. Last year I fished lake o in not so nice weather. Over 4' waves. I felt confident as long as I stayed vigilant at the wheel. First time my buddy that was fishing with me actually put his life jacket on

jaybird, I bought an ACR bag but the USCGA instructor who taught  a class I took, brought his in and it was similar to your idea. He bought a cheaper bag and added floatation as well. He also said he takes it with him whenever he's invited on another boat because he can't be sure that boat owner has the necessary tools to survive if need be.

LakerTaker, thanks, great idea.

rolmops, remember that t-shirt, "Instant ass****, just add booze" that's me, I'd probably start a fight with the rescue diver! A bottle of water might be a good idea though.

ADK...you're welcome.