Fish Hawk X4D with Bluetooth...Best price ? Post it here :)

Is there a new display available for purchase for those of us who bought the X4D last year without surface speed and bluetooth so we can upgrade and not have to shell out another 700 bucks just for bluetooth and a surface speed option on the new model?

Just make sure you get the new one with the RED screen on the display. A lot of places advertise the X4D bu it is the non-Blue Tooth model without surface speed and that has the BLUE screen

Edited by Sk8man

Is there a new display available for purchase for those of us who bought the X4D last year without surface speed and bluetooth so we can upgrade and not have to shell out another 700 bucks just for bluetooth and a surface speed option on the new model?

Yeah I bought just a the x4d screen from northwoods.  I then turned around and sold my x4d blue screen for $140 through a local classifieds.  

It ended up only being $160 more which I didnt mind, but Im not sure if I would go for the price difference right now.  I really dont use the bluetooth on the unit.  When a fish hits:

Run to grab rod

Make sure hook is set

Hand rod to passenger

Go mark waypoint with 1 click on my Raymarine plotter

Go grab the dog off the top of the transom - usually runs up there and starts barking at the fish

Coach person reeling in the fish

Move other rods out of the way

Adjust autopilot so fish doesnt take out any of the 11 other rods behind the boat

Go grab dog off the top of the transom again

Grab net

Net fish

Take hook out

....start to wonder what my speed at depth xyz was....realized that its been 20 min and have made 8 course corrections while someone reeled in a 20lb laker with its mouth wide open sucking water the way.  Really dont have time to mess with a tablet or phone in that case to record the speed at the hit.  If anything, it would be a ton easier if there was either a) a record hit on the unit itself b) just write the darn speed down right away.  Unless you need a 2nd display, the Bluetooth is just a gimmick to me.  

Now for the X4D having a surface speed....my personal thoughts are still out on that one.  With a big fiberglass boat there are already a bunch of variables that impact the paddle wheel, but it does at least give you another data point.  

Edited by vetting

Am I missing something I really do not care about Bluetooth or surface speed I do want to know my probe depth though with blowback.My understanding is the x4 does not give depth as the x4d does

Ahhh, yeah I forgot.  Yeah I think the depth is worth it.  I started with the X4D blue and then the red unit with bluetooth and surface speed added came out.  So I upgraded from an X4D to a X4D red and sold the blue X4D screen.  Now I remember why I was pissed about how they released new units in back to back years.

There is the X4, X4D blue, X4D red with bluetooth and surface speed.  

Ahhh, yeah I forgot.  Yeah I think the depth is worth it.  I started with the X4D blue and then the red unit with bluetooth and surface speed added came out.  So I upgraded from an X4D to a X4D red and sold the blue X4D screen.  Now I remember why I was pissed about how they released new units in back to back years.

There is the X4, X4D blue, X4D red with bluetooth and surface speed.  

Yeah and it kind of reminds me of Taylormade Golf. They release a new driver every couple of months which kind of makes the previous model obsolete in some respects, but not really....It certainly does make the value of it less though.

Edited by MikeyP

Same here Mike. I was pizzed when I found out there was no surface speed.

I certainly understand your frustration, but look what they "Lowrance" did to us guys first the 5HD they said this was the top of the line, and don't expect to much for the next few years. This is how they screwed me I bought the Elite 7 HDI don't get me wrong I really it. The rep. I talked to at cabelas told me this is top shelf unit, the other HD units are what we are going to focus on, YEA RIGHT!!! By fall they had the HDI chirp, and by spring they had a HDI9 now a HDI 9 with chirp I mean come on. The way all these companies are going our units today will be obsolete in 2 years. I even waited a year, so I guess I should have bought it that same day, but I was glad I didn't with all the glitches they had. I think the days where we ran the same unit year after year are gone. The guys that need all the best of the best better have a thick wallet. Same as these temp units how many guys run the sub Troll for years, dealt with the coated cable problems. We dealt with it. I think with the way society is going (they) need instant gratification and the way to acheive this is have all the newest gadgets. I understand that a charter Captian needs this kind of tooling, but one other thing comes to mind is all these tourney that pay big bucks. The guys with the most updated units think they have the best shot. I know guys that have say teams put together and they all contribute funds to the boat, so now you have 4 wallets supporting 1 boat, and they also split the $$$..

Edited by pap

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, Private said:

Any recent knowledge of where to get these at a good price?

Used to be Northwoods Outlet was about $80 cheaper than anyone else. But it looks like they don't carry the complete setup anymore, I only see the probes on their site. Might be worth a phone call just to be sure. Otherwise I'd say to watch Fishusa.com. They have daily sales and if you keep and eye out you can catch a sitewide 10% off or sometimes even better on a $250+ purchase. Other than that, pretty much everyone has them at the same price. Today is cyber Monday so it would be a good day to check around for a sale.